Ultimate Subaru Message Board

air suction valve manifold?

Hey guys, on my 82 brat i still have my non functioning air suction valve. I was planning to remove it and noticed it is attached to a manifold bolted on to the exhaust port on the engine. Can i remove the whole thing, manifold and all and just bolt my exhaust directly to the engine?

You have to leave that ASV spacer in there unless you swap the Y-pipe from an EA82 in. Just not enough pipe above the bend for the EA81 Y-pipe to fit with out some serious rubbing, if it would fit at all.

You can cut the tubes off next to the flange nut and weld a piece of metal over the end.

If,, the nut holding the tube will come out, remove the tubing, cut it and keep the nut. A quarter placed in the port, then the nut will do nicely to close it also.

oh, one other question since it is pretty close to the same topic. I'm switching to the weber carb and there is the tube that comes of the exhaust just below the ASV and runs up to the air cleaner. What do I do with that hole? I won't be using it anymore....does the Ea82 pipe have that?

oh, one other question since it is pretty close to the same topic. I'm switching to the weber carb and there is the tube that comes of the exhaust just below the ASV and runs up to the air cleaner. What do I do with that hole? I won't be using it anymore....does the Ea82 pipe have that?

You don't need to do anything with the "hole" in the exhaust pipe.  It doesn't actually open into the exhaust pipe.  It's just a heat stove to draw air across the hot exterior of the exhaust pipe into the air cleaner box to aid in cold warm-up.  A carbed ea82 pipe will likely have the same feature.

Currently running two EA81s with EA82 Y pipe

EA82 Y pipe with cat and O2 sensor bolted to EA81 with those cast iron extenders on exhaust ports and

#2 carbed, catted EA82 Y pipe on non extended std EA81 heads is a very tidy and tight fit.

Thinking those holes with thread on pollution pipes, think it can be successfully plugged witha std spark plug for convenience :)

Unscrew the big flange where the metal tube goes into the ASV box (behind the head).  It's big stainless flange, ussually never seized.   Unscrew it, place a Quarter (US money) in the hole, and reattach the flange. 

Done. The exhaust passage is blocked. now remove all the plastic tubiing coming off the ASV.

• 1 month later...

I dont have one right now unfortunately, but, on the passenger side where the exhaust pipe attaches to the engine you will see a little aluminum manifold with a pipe coming off of it. That pipe leads up to the asv. Unscrew the pipe at that manifold then follow it up to the asv and unscrew the two screws holding that in place. Shoge a quarter in at the manifold and reassemble.