Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello USMB, I need help with GL-10 Air Suspension

"dead system" - meaning everything is flat and has been non-operational.

okay it sounds like it's trying to work as normal then, so computer/wiring should be good.

1.  it starts at start up because the tank is low on pressure

2.  it quits after 10 minutes as designed because the computer shuts it off to prevent overrunning/overheating the compressor

It sounds like:
A.  there's a leak - right at the compressor or tank or a really bad leak at the air strut such that all the pressure is bleeding out and not airing up anything

B.  the compressor isn't putting out enough psi to pump anything up

You can use soapy water around fittings, orings, connectors, air bags to check for leaks.  the soapy water will bubble where the leak is.

• Like 1

Alright guys, I have officially decided that I'm going to convert my car from pneumatic to coil over suspension.  Last night I unhooked the power from all four solenoids, aired up all the bags, drove it to the car wash to clean the engine and the front left bag went flat and as soon as I plugged power to all the bags again and turned on the car, all the air released from the system and I had to drive the car home with no shocks again.

I, like many others i'm sure, simply have too much other spoob to get done both on the car and other things in my life to keep messing with this.

I gave it a good shot so I have no regrets lol

Also, we have a parts car that has everything except an engine.  Which means that it everything is compatible, I'll get carpet, interior plastic, rear seats, and coil suspension for free.

The parts car is a Loyale, should everything match up?

And, are there any sensors or computers that I have to disable/remove in order for the car to behave properly without an air suspension system present?

Oh, and one last question.....does anyone who has experience with the air suspension equipped Subarus know whether or not the car disables the ability to enter 4WD if the car is not jacked up to the proper heighth?  The 4WD would not engage when I first drove the car(haven't tried again since then) and I thought that there might be a chance that's there's nothing wrong with it, it's just the computer disabling it because the car is so low to the ground.      Anyone know?

the 4wd system & the suspension height system are not linked in any way.

Which buttons have you got for 4wd?

red(?) one on the gearstick below the lockout button & another "4wd auto" button on the dash? or just on the gearstick?

if you have both, which one are you pressing? cos the "4wd auto" button will only put it into 4wd when:

a. the gearbox kicks down a gear

b. the brakes are pressed

c. the wipers are turned on

the one on the gearstick puts it directly into 4wd regardless

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys

new guy here trying to fix a buddies subaru wgn. he picked up a 88 subaru wgn, 4wd turbo with an automatic. so far i have put a radiator in it after the plastic was so rotten it blew (hopefully the head gaskets survive...), fixed a pretty good oil leak at the front crank seal (PO destroyed a new seal putting it in).

now i am down to the air suspension. the left rear shock boot leaks are badly, right front level sensor in the strut is bad. no problem, i thought. we will just convert it over to regular suspension and then he will not have to deal with the very expensive air shocks failing from subaru. got the front done with used struts from a wrecking yard and though i could replace the entire rear suspension setup with the non-air suspension system. well, that didnt work, mounting system to the body is entirley different. tried some basic air shocks for overload, and like i figured they cant handle the load. has anyone been able to convert them at all? at this point if i could get a good left rear air shock (better if i could get both rear ones) i would be happy. i am just concerned at the age of probably any out there, they would fail relatively soon after replacement.

anyone have any better options?

was reading this thread and someone is asking about conversions, but it never seemed to get answered. sorry if i am hijacking a thread but my problem is at least similar.

thanks for any help.

Aaron