Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Water Pump has me confused...

This is backwards

That would be the dealer installed system.

GL-10s had it factory and the pump is outboard of the Alt.

Your GL had it added at the dealership.

Very Kindly let me tell you, Gloyale:

in my own humble opinion, you have the info Backwards.

The Inboard A/C compressors are the Factory installed ones;

the outboard A/C compressors are the Dealer installed ones.

So, in order to stop the confusion, Trident and I found this:

inboard A/C compressor = Factory A/C with two V Belts = Waterpump with 110 mm tall shaft.

Kind Regards.

Dealer systems were hitachi, and are inboard.

Factory systems were Panasonic/matsushita and are outboard with the exception of 85 early 86 were BOTH systems were inboard of the ALT.

Just goin by the Factory Service manuals.

Basically if it's not an XT or a GL-10 , you use the 110.   If not then someone has swapped engines which happens all the time by now see cars with carb blocks with SPFI and MPFI turbo cars neutered w/ SPFI block etc.

Subarus are like a Box of Chocolates.........that's all I've got to say about that

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

going to be doing a water pump fix soon. I have an old gl-10 pump (shorter) I was going to use. Aside from possibly wearing out the belt quicker beacuse it's shorter, what other problems could arise. They both pump the same ammount of water, right?

The difference between the 105mm and 110mm pump is merely which pulley it uses. 110mm for studded pulley, 105mm for bolt-on pulley. that is all. Regardless of application, you can use either or water pumps as long as you have the associated pulley for that pump. mixing and matching pulley for one pump on the other will ruin the studs or the holes on the pulley, and will fall apart, or have a misaligned belt