Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 MPFI to EA82T engine swap feasability

I've searched the messages, but not found the exact answer I'm seeking on this conversion. How much grief related to wiring and such are we talking about to convert a XT N/a to XT turbo. Assume that I have a donor EA82T car to work with.

The plan would be to put the EA82T engine into the n/a XT, NOT to turbocharge the existing EA82 engine in the n/a XT. Let's assume that the n/a XT is a 4WD 5MT, and the donor car is a XT-turbo AT 4WD.

1. Do I have to swap out all of the n/a's wiring for the Turbo's wiring?

2. Fuel pump and fuel line related issues?

3. Other hidden nightmares?

4. ECU swap?

If it's just a matter of plug and play with minimal grief, I'll probably do it. If not....then I'll just keep waiting for the perfect XT-turbo 5MT 4WD to come along....

Looking back through the messages, some have hinted that the wiring harnesses are the same, but use a different ECU.

Thanks much

all you would realy be changing is the shortblock, or the longblock. everything will bolt on, just like it was forgotten at the factory. you dont need the computer, or any wiring. just drop the motor in there with the turbo stuff on it, and go. if you dont have an knock sensor, thats about the only thing to swap in there as far a wiring goes.

Really! It is just that simple? I know it'll bolt up fine, the wiring issues were what concerned me. The n/a ECU is smart enough to adjust to the additional airflow, etc..? I am suspicious after working on the SVX for so long, where nothing is so simple :banghead:

all you would realy be changing is the shortblock, or the longblock. everything will bolt on, just like it was forgotten at the factory. you dont need the computer, or any wiring. just drop the motor in there with the turbo stuff on it, and go. if you dont have an knock sensor, thats about the only thing to swap in there as far a wiring goes.

:banghead:

• 7 years later...
I would love to know how that worked out for you??? I just picked up a 1985 XT Multi-P Front wheel drive NON-turbo. Id like to drop an EA-82T in mine also. Anyone done this before?

Before everyone else chimes in, I will say it.....NO, dont do it.

Look up EA82T here and then decide, you will probably change your mind.

And do more research before resurrecting a 7yr old thread please.