Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Xt6 engine swap

Charlie Swett

you need the turbo engine wiring harness and body side wiring harness

sort, trim, prep, and label all the wiring (or pay someone on here to do it)

splice and install EJ wiring into XT6

ECU

adapter plate to mate the EJ engine to the ER transmission - or an EJ transmission with matching rear differential gear ratio

cross member will not allow for stock exhaust routing, need to cut/notch/weld existing crossmember

custom exhaust

• 5 months later...

The xt6 trans is rather strong, supposedly stronger than a wrx 5spd, but altogether the same basic architecture.

All of this that applies is general knowledge when it comes to putting ej engines into gl/xt bodies.

There are plenty of examples of ej22 engines stuffed into gl's withthe same modifications mentioned abve.

It would be less work to use an already turbo xt or swap in a turbo crossmember into the xt6.

For example, i have an 86 gl coupe, with xt6 front crossmember and suspension/driveline, with an ej251 from an o1 impreza, withthe same wiring harness chop, bellhousing adapter, and supporting mods you will be into.

Searc around for topics related to 'ej swap' find the tutorials, and that will be your basis, and then the specifics tot he wrx turbo engine applied to that.

no i haven't done it, but swaps are common.  go to subaruxt.com there's quite a few XT6 and XT swaps there.  i don't even know how many, but yes it's been done.

the transmission will hold up fine if you drive gently.

if youre racing it the transmission and clutch are going to be a weak spot.

you'll fall somewhere in between that so i'd say the transmission is probably going to be a weak spot.