Ultimate Subaru Message Board

DL to GL Gauge Cluster Swap

I'm looking to put a gl gauge cluster in my DL which lacks tachometer, a voltmeter, but, most importantly to a car with 272008 miles, the oil pressure gauge. I bought the cluster, but, it's not plug and play. I've heard I can take the dash, which has right wiring harness and use it. Will that all plug into my DL properly? Is easier to splice some wires? If anyone has any instruction that'd be great! I'll make a guide when I'm finished.

It's not easy.

Swapping entire dash might work.  If the cars are in the same year range.

Years break down like this

88+

If it were me, and I was dead set on doing the swap....I would get FSM diagrahms for each dash and repin/cut/solder the wires at the back of the dash.  That's what people ussually do for DigiDash conversion.

In order to get a working Oil Pressure gauge you will need to swap a sending unit onto the Oil Pump.

If you are really set on it I can copy Pinouts from the 2 dashes for you if you want.

i have considered this multiple times for my DL brat.....it is the only part of the GL that i would really like to have(can do without power windows etc)

i have a whole GL parts car so would swap dashpad, glovebox, instrument cluster and related wiring...would probably have to remove the windshield??

BUT

as stated thats a LOT of work....

i am leaning towards some fabricating on the dash and installing aftermarket gauges - but that will take some effort too

but the car would still be drivable while in process

have not discounted this swap completely but it is getting less attractive

capillary type oil pressure gauges are cheap and easy to install 

what might be more attractive is an EJ22 and instruments from a legacy.......... :)

I like the crank windows, the lack of power mirrors. Simplicity.

I've got a tranny, drive shaft, and rear axle ready for a 4wd conversion.

I'm excited for that. Just figuring my gauge cluster now. If you have any pinouts or diagrams that'd be great!

• 11 months later...