Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oil pressure reliefe valves on ea82

I have a 90 subaru loyale that I believe has a faulty oil pressure reliefe valve.

I know of the one on the oil pump. I believe there are 2 more can someone tell or show me where these are and also what am I looking for when I pull them put the one in the oil pump has a spring and the I'll call it a hallow bolt that holds it. i don't know what a faulty one would look like.

deffinetly sounds like an obstruction somewhere but I'd look at all other avenues before pulling the carriers its a pain on it's own but worse to find it wasn't the issue and have to redo it anyhow. have you tried a new filter? let's get some basics down first. 

Did it just begin doing this on this oil change? if so it's likely the new parts

what oil did you use? 

What filter did you use?

I've noticed the WIX filters (and any subsequent WIX-based filters like Microguard, NAPA Gold, ect) have too large of a sealing base circle when sealing against the mounting plate. There is only approximately 1/16" of sealing surface on that seal causing it to even leak at rest.. Even then, those seals are tested to 150psi, IIRC in the industry standards...

I might also pull the OPRV on the oil pump itself to make sure the spring or plunger isn't stuck...

Lastly, there are 2 OPRVs in the heads (one per head) at the end of the HLA galley. COULD be those or one of them are failing to open... 

Edited by 86 Wonder Wedge

it started very odd sequance of things going wrong first my battery was dead got a new battery and would crank but wouldn't start still and took a look under the good and noticed my driver side timing belt had shredded almost fillet it's self the oddest thing I've ever seen it do. I just changed the belts 4 months ago pretty much brand new changed the belts did the right sequence timing was fine. started it and it bogged wouldn't do go past 1000 rpms no matter how much I pushed the gas nothing and instantly after it started the oil pressure gauge jumped all the way to the top. then it erupted oil out of the first oil filter. and I've been stumped since. and yes I use fram micro guard but I've always used those and that shouldn't make my oil pressure rocket up like that.

here's a pic of my oprv on the oil pump. does it look right

idk what I'm looking for post-47613-0-84907300-1385430228_thumb.jpg

That silver piece is the cap (with the hex head), correct? There should also be a bullet shaped piece that sits inside the hole that the spring came out of. Almost the exact same diameter of the spring. Since it didn't come out with the other pieces (assuming it's not pictured and you only have those 2 pieces), it could be stuck in the bore causing a pressure spike.

Pressure spike will also cause the HLAs to stick WAY out of the bores, keeping the valves open.. are you getting any air coming out of the intake (positive pressure)? What's the vacuum gauge say?