Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22/25d head bolt differences. EJ22 bolts longer than EJ25

I don't really want to admit this here......but I thought it was good info to share to save others a headache.

Espescially those of use with piles of Subaru parts lying everywhere.

So.....the point.

EJ25d heads use a shorter bolt than the EJ22e.   About 8mm shorter.

How'd I find out you ask???  Well.....my freshly rebuilt (rings, bearings, valve job, port and polish)  EJ22 started showing headgasket signs

Heater blowing cold, overpressurized system, coolant pushed out the resevior, and once enough lost, car runs hot/overheats.

So I said.....damn......well......it's new engine with composite gasket.......Why not retorque? It's only been 10k miles or so, and the head bolts are outside the valve covers on an EJ22e so why not.

Well when I put a wrench on the middle bolts on the drivers side the bolt turned, too easy, waaaaay to easy.....and just kept spinning and spinning.  So did the next one.  So did the middle ones on the other side.  Outer bolts torqued down ok.....but I knew it was not good.  Drove a few days more and now the headgaskets were worse.

So yesterday I pulled it and dropped a EJ18 in for temporay use.

Took apart the EJ22 and found I had used the short EJ25d bolts! NOOOOOOOOO!!! they were only catching 4 or 5 threads and stripped out the threads in the block.

Took off both heads, dropped the oil pan, and took the shortblock into the machine shop to fit with inserts.

Dumb mistake.  Don't be a dummy.  You've been warned.

Edited by Gloyale

I always thought the EJ25D headbolts are longer?

I know if you put EJ25D heads on a Ej22 motor you have to use the EJ25D head bolts because the Ej22 bolts are too short from what I hear.

Nah it's the opposite the 2.5 DOHC bolts are shorter.  Makes sense because the 2.5D bolts live under the cams, whereas the 2.2 bolts come all the way up above the cam, outside the valve covers.

EJ22 bolts would be too long for 2.5D heads.

When I rebuild a customer engine all parts stay together with the engine they came from.

This only happened to me because I built this engine cobbled from various parts, using heads from a EJ20 NA JDM engine.  Too many parts laying around....I gotta clean up.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

After much consulting with machinist, seaching for extra long thread repair install kits, pricing options ect........I've concluded I can build another shortblock for less than repairing this one properly.  That is what I will do to have another actually grade A rebuild in my Daily Driver 86 GL AWD.

So......This is an experiment.  Not recommending this as a FIX.......just something I'm trying as a way of salvaging this engine.  I'll be using it as a weekend wheeler mudfest motor.  So if it blows up.....well....it's already damn near junk.  Brand new rings, bearings, and seals......but because of half the threads missing in the center holes......I can't really trust it in my DD.

Heres the "fix"

Purchased a 36" long piece of M11 x1.25 b9 threaded rod.(the b9 is higher grade.....not that hard though)

Cut 4,  9" long studs.  And installed them as far into the blcok as I could to grab the remaining threads in the lower 2/3 of the holes.

IMG_0830_zps80639a7e.jpg

Some copper spray on a set of barely used HGs (engine tossed a rod 3k after headgaskets...check your oil)  I know, I know.....reusing headgaskets....copper spray......It's horrible....I know.......look away....

IMG_0831_zps468d6695.jpg

IMG_0833_zps89236549.jpg

And here's the lump all assembled and ready to be tossed into the rig......or out the back as an anchor.......we will see.  I do love that I can lift it into the car by myself.

IMG_0834_zpsd7f71d67.jpg

And as of now it's actually in the wheeler......drove it home last night and it's got lots of power.....no signs of any headgasket issues.  We will see how well this holds up.

MUDFEST!!!

Edited by Gloyale
  • Like 1

i would have assumed the need for lock nuts??

i'm not too sure why,

i know there 's nothing like that on the original bolts,

but it just seems reasonable to me.

yes, no ??

Nah.... that would throw off the toqrue values.

Maybe should have used washers though......hmmmm.......the Mud won't care.  Wait....I just looked...I did use washers.  Hmmm....

Edited by Gloyale