Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Colorado has some draconian emissions laws...

I'm getting close to ready to register my '78 EJ22 swap, and I've just learned about the emission laws relative to swaps here in Colorado and have run into some problems.  Basically, the engine has to have all the stock emissions related equipment - something I can make happen in the engine compartment pretty easily, but for the parts that were in the EJ fuel tank (which I have not put in the '78) I'm at a bit of a loss.

It being a '97, the harness and ECU include a fuel pressure sensor, fuel temp sensor, and pressure release solenoid (? I think that's it?) which were in the fuel tank and which I really don't want to deal with attempting to plumb into '78's tank.  So I want to trick the ECU into thinking these sensors are connected and happy so I can pass their OBD scan.  (It would be nice to make them happy either way so I have a reliable check engine light)

Does anyone know how to do this or able to point me to the info or have any other ideas on how to get this thing to pass emissions?  

My plan was to go give it a try and play dumb and hope it gets through - I'm sure exhaust gasses-wise it won't be a problem as long as the tech doesn't notice that the EJ22 looks a little different than a'78 motor...  

Any Colorado people with tips on testing locations?

Edited by julianco

I just got Zem's 84 GLF with a 97 ej22 swap. Car came with an EGR, ej didn't have it. I did have to mention the car is AWD tho. It did have a cat on it and it did fast pass. My 89 xt6 with the EZ30 also fast passed.

The trick is to play a little dumb and make sure the car has the equipment it came with, like a cat. I like the weld county location at I-25 and exit 235. I've got a hs friend there and they are not usually busy. Pretty good crew there too..

Be thankful you don't live in Cali. If you still have the sensors, research them a bit on how they operate. I have never seen a code come up for a fuel temp sensor in a 97 so that is a new one on me. I know the low fuel light is a temp sensor. If they are high/low (open close) sensors then it is easy. If they are variable all you usually need is a proper resistor.

AZ law says that if you get collector's insurance (through someone like Hagerty), you don't have to get an emissions test. Mine aren't daily drivers so it's not a big deal plus the insurance is unbelievably inexpensive. You probably have checked already, but if not, you might want to check into that. 

New York has dropped emissions for pre OBD II cars all together. They are supposed to do a visual to make sure all the emissions equipment is there, so get a young enough inspector, they don't know what they are looking at except for maybe a cat and an evap canister.

Can you find an inspector who doesnt know what he is looking at and you can play dumb?

http://aircarecolorado.com/index.php/about-the-test/1981-and-older/

Screw the Gestapo, have a Friend with a stock Brat, put your plates on it, take the test. Go back to normal and have fun driving your Brat. Emmission laws are only for taking your MONEY. Fake Rothschilds Crap that it is.

Truly disagree. As someone who was around when places had air so thick (look at 1960's and 1970's movies filmed in cities) they actually have done an amazing job on cleaning the air. I would think that someone who lives someplace that is supposedly known for having clean air and water would think differently and would want to keep it that way.

• Like 1

What does "swap plates" mean and how does it save you from emissions?

It means you transfer the plates from one of your other cars or if you have a extra set of plates that have good tags onto your car that can't pass DEQ. The plates that have good tags on them have passed DEQ making a loop hole to where you don't have to go through emissions until the tags expire or you swap the plates again. This is how my brat got plates since it wouldn't pass DEQ for some reason no matter what i did even though it has 30k-40k on the motor and transmission i rebuilt the carb, did a tune up (cap, rotor, wires, plugs, fuel filters), adjusted the timing and throttle cable it got really close but wouldn't pass its either getting a weber or fuel injection swap..

Ah, I see. I was just wondering if it's something we could do here (in case I need another trick). But,we don't have the same loophole here in AZ. Our loophole is "collector's insurance" which is awesome. Phoenix and Tucson have higher standards than the rest of the state and it can be hard to get things passed. I have two mid-80's BRATs that seem to hold their own every year. The get me for a gas cap every few years. It's annoying but I get the reason for it.  One has 215K, the other 250K. I think it surprises the kids at the emission shop every time they pass. LOL. 

Well thanks for all the input.  Kingbobdole I'll be taking your advice first and go from there.  I have both stock cats so it should pass the sniffer no problem.  Unfortunately it appears that my alternator is shot, so emissions testing is going to be put on hold for a little bit.  I'll update as it goes.  

Edited by julianco

Hi there, I'm in CO as well. swapping plates would be a dumb thing to do in your situation. I can't say I have smogged a car with an ej swap but I have dealt with modified emissions on at least three different old school Subies that ended up getting legally plated right here in CO. Here is good info. Down at the Broofield emmisions station, There is a seperate garage attached to the testing center. There a Man named Joe Lovonas works. He is employed by the commision that actually sets these standards for the state. NOT by Clean Air Colorado, who tests you car. But he has a set up right there at the emissions station. His # is 303-404-0265. Call him and tell him you modified and old car and you want him to look at it to advise you. He is by appointment only, but it's free. Show him what you did and he will tell you what he wants done to it if anything, then he gives you some paperwork that you keep as long as you own the car. when you go to get it smogged, you show the paperwork and the buffoons at Clean Air Colorado grunt and get confused, eventualy they figure out how to do their job and run your car.  The paperwork basically tells them what they have to look for. For example, the paperwork for my 80 hatch with a weber says, test for air injection only and exempt other emission. You still have to pass the numbers, but this will get you legally plated. I have done this with 3 modified subarus and it is way less painfull that sweating it every year when you have to smog it and trying to bumble through it. The guys at the testing facilities (I've tried three or four different ones) are generally idiots, you may be able to get your car by them, but you will roll the dice each year. Get the paperwork and you can cruise through the test without worry.

Also last time I enquired with Boulder County, your car would qualify for collectors plates, would require 5 year registration paid up front, but you only need to pass smog 1 time. That's it. Then you just renew your plates every 5 years.

Also Larimer County did away with emmisions, If you have connections there (an address you could use), You could register it up there.  for that matter or anywhere on the west slope.

Edited by the sucker king
  • Like 1