Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 legacy L to 2002 Outbcak rear diff swap

Quick question, I have a 2002 Subaru Outback sedan Automatic with the 3.0L but has a back read diff. and I was wondering if I could take a read diff out of a 2001 Legacy L which is also an automatic with the 2.5L and put it in the Outback. I know the bolts will match up I was just wondering about the gear ratios. I know that there's a difference between the Autos ans standards but wondering the same thing base models and Outbacks

Should be a direct swap.

If the outback was 4cyl it would be 4.44 but since it's a 6cyl it's 4.11.

Legacy is a 4.11 so it should be a direct swap.

You will need to take the spin on filter cap off the H6 trans and add it to the Legacy one.

If not the spin on filter will hit the exhaust.  Other option is to modify exhaust to clear filter.

Should be a direct swap.

If the outback was 4cyl it would be 4.44 but since it's a 6cyl it's 4.11.

Legacy is a 4.11 so it should be a direct swap.

You will need to take the spin on filter cap off the H6 trans and add it to the Legacy one.

If not the spin on filter will hit the exhaust.  Other option is to modify exhaust to clear filter.

he said rear diff. But I think you still are confident the final ratios are interchangeable?

What makes you think the rear diff is bad? They very rarely fail, and often people think that binding and thumping in the drivetrain when cornering tightly is a failing rear diff when it's actually the rear transfer clutch in the transmission.

Does your car have VDC?

excellent question!

sometimes folks have bad bushings, bad u-joints or carrier bearings too. Al stuff that 'could' be confused with a bad rear diff I suppose.

What she is doing is vibrating like a bitch when you hit around 30 MPH, I have diagnosed a couple of re-ends before and that what it seems to be, not sure though..The reason I'm asking is because I found a 2002 outback sedan with the 3.0 and every option with 176,xxx miles on it and it's only $1,500, I know this guy, and I was just tying to figure some stuff out in case I buy this car.. and the car does have VDC