Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Forester struts for 92 Legacy

AWDsome

Hey guys and gals! Im new to the board, havent gotten a chance to do my intro thread yet but needed to ask a quick question. So I looked through a bunch of the pages in this area to find something about my topic but didn't see anything so if there is already something about it I apologize ahead of time. My question is, I have a 92 Legacy Wagon and want to put the Forester struts on to begin my lifting project. I can get the full strut assembly for $75 a piece at my local junk yard just need to know what year of Forester I can use the struts from. Thanks everyone! Can't wait to start my lift project and share the journey!!!

Hey guys and gals! Im new to the board, havent gotten a chance to do my intro thread yet but needed to ask a quick question. So I looked through a bunch of the pages in this area to find something about my topic but didn't see anything so if there is already something about it I apologize ahead of time. My question is, I have a 92 Legacy Wagon and want to put the Forester struts on to begin my lifting project. I can get the full strut assembly for $75 a piece at my local junk yard just need to know what year of Forester I can use the struts from. Thanks everyone! Can't wait to start my lift project and share the journey!!!

For $75 bucks a pop you can buy brand new struts from KYBOutlet.com

• Like 1

Legacy spring and Outback springs are the same length. Rear forester's are longer and the spring seat is further down on the strut to match. This also limits rear tire clearance on the forester.

For $75 a piece junkyard struts are not worth it. You will need to take apart the rear struts anyway to swap your strut caps on to fit the gen1 legacy body, so there isn't much labor savings either.

Buy struts for a 98 Legacy Outback. Use your springs and strut caps on them. You will likely need an extra washer under the nuts that hold the strut to the strut cap in the rear because the newer struts threads don't go down as far so the nut won't clamp tight.

Cut the brake line bracket on the strut in the flat area after you pull the clip off, then bend the two tabs up, sneak the brake line out, and do the same thing on the new strut to avoid having to take apart the brake lines and bleed the brakes.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info WoodsWagon. I actually cut the break line brackets already on the front struts that are on the car now... I actually found a complete set of struts from a guy in the Subie Club I'm in off an '04 Forester XT with 40k miles on them for $150 that I'll be picking up Wednesday. That's half the price of anywhere else I've looked for struts, even the junk yard. I appreciate everyone's help and info/knowledge/wisdom! I'll post pics as soon as I get them on and as soon as I figure out how to post pics. Haven't completely read the how To's yet. Thanks again!

Legacy spring and Outback springs are the same length. Rear forester's are longer and the spring seat is further down on the strut to match. This also limits rear tire clearance on the forester.

For $75 a piece junkyard struts are not worth it. You will need to take apart the rear struts anyway to swap your strut caps on to fit the gen1 legacy body, so there isn't much labor savings either.

Buy struts for a 98 Legacy Outback. Use your springs and strut caps on them. You will likely need an extra washer under the nuts that hold the strut to the strut cap in the rear because the newer struts threads don't go down as far so the nut won't clamp tight.

Cut the brake line bracket on the strut in the flat area after you pull the clip off, then bend the two tabs up, sneak the brake line out, and do the same thing on the new strut to avoid having to take apart the brake lines and bleed the brakes.

The bit about the Foresters having a lower spring perch is only for the 98-02's. The 03-08's have a higher spring perch.

Hey everyone so I installed the '04 Fozzy struts and now the front sits higher than the rear. I have some weight in the back but I wouldn't think it would be enough to make a difference plus when I push down on the front of the car its nice and stiff but the rear is kind of soft. These struts only have 40k miles on them so idk what's going on. I measured from the bottom of the rocker panel to the ground on on the back and front and there was an 1 1/2" difference. I'm not really liking it. Was hoping to have the same height front and back.

IMG_20131130_143301_058.jpg

This is because forrester tophats add some height in the rear too.

Since you had to use the legacy ones, you lost a little height.

You could swap to Forrester springs to help some, and a HDPE spacer will help even more.

Especially if you use 98-02 Forester springs on your Forester XT struts. They are a little longer, so they compress a bit more in the strut and hold the rear end up a bit more.