Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Who has done this repair? Captive nut broken loose - front transverse bushing link

2003 Outback

The captive nut for the front transverse link bushing on the passengers side is broken and free-spinning inside the chassis.  This nut is inaccessible.  It's the rear-most nut.

1. Do you have to drill the floor pan directly above the nut from inside the cabin?  (doesn't seem possible with firewall in the way).

2. Once the initial 5 layers of metal are drilled through that your feet sit on - do you keep drilling?

I drilled/cut through 5 interconnected metal layers all adjacent to each other, where your feet immediately rest and I only see empty space and additional folds of metal 1 - 3 inches (roughly) down in the empty space.

It seems like I'm in a hollow space - an interior side of the chassis (floor pan that i drilled through) filled with additional folds and metal.

Do I continue cutting into one of those folds/metal areas too?

had a thread but wanted an accurate title since few have repaired or seen this and i thought it was simply a stripped bolt at first. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/141241-stripped-19mm-front-control-arm-rear-transfer-link-bushing-bolt/?do=findComment&comment=1187964

that's a good call but doesn't work well here. no pull it yourself yards and most places don't want you in their yards. last time i asked, they wouldn't let me power up a 2003 to see how many miles were on the electronic odometer...on a vehicle i ended up buying the transmission from, $900 cash in hand....and that one was in the parking lot where customers parked, not even in the yard yet.

Year, which arm and which bolt. 

I might be able to check it out for you.  There are a couple of 2000 and 1 2002 in the yard by me.

thanks for the offer crazy head! if it's simple, awesome, but don't go out of your way - i'll figure it out next Monday, in one week.

03 Outback - passengers side, outer most (closest to the passengers side door), transverse mount bolt.

the way the floor slopes up it appears as if it would need a longer than standard drill bit, but dunno.

another issue is scale. largest city in the state is 50k people and 2.5 hours away. "cities" are rural towns or suburbs in most states, so there's less of everything. but i'm sure you know that/or have heard me say it before. 

Edited by grossgary

any chance the threads are stripped?

drill a small hole, on the side?, and tack weld it back in place.

not a stripped bolt, captive nut has broken loose internally.

i can try drilling a hole first. though it's 180 ft/lbs torque, not sure a hole will yield that good of access for a weld.