Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Possible bad fuel pump relay on 86 GL

muto

Hello everyone,

Nice website you've got here, I finally had to stop lurking and make an account because she stopped running and it was time to ask for help, so here goes:

I've got an 86 subaru GL, 300,000+ miles, rebuilt ea82, she's been running really well lately but the other day I started her up on the first try, as usual, just jumped right to life. I drove about 10 feet and stopped at a stop sign and the engine died. Wouldn't start but still turn over. Checked the fuel pump fuse and it was blown, so I replaced it and she started right up again. I drove about 4 blocks and it died again, wouldn't start. Fuel pump fuse was blown again. Replaced the fuse, started up, and died immediately. Fuse was blown again. Subsequently replaced and blew 3 more fuses, without the car running for more than a second, and was then all out of spares and had to get a tow back home.

I've been hearing it could be that the fuel pump relay has gone out.

My plan was to replace the relay this afternoon and see if that does it, but I could use some information in regards to the location of the fuel pump, or if anyone else has any ideas or solutions it'd be great to her em.

Thanks!

hi,

i would think it's not the relay since each time you put a new fuse it hits right off,   may be  the pump is drawing tooo much amperage, it is located under the car back by the right rear wheel. you didn't say if it's fuel inj or carb but both are located in same place.  you might experiment ,  remove the pump and run a wire with same size fuse inline to the pump and run it to see if it continues to blow the fuse.. if not then you may have a shorte in the wiring  somewhere ,  possibly the relay or it's connector.