Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Permanently disabling alarm which shorts my battery (and is a nuisance)

Got a 98 Outback that didn't have remote keys from previous owner.  Every once in a while, the alarm system (it's original Subaru, not aftermarket) seems to take on a life of its own and you have to use the bypass button underneath while turning key with clutch in.  Then, it seems to kill battery once in a blue moon on top of that, which is a bigger nuisance.  We don't need this stupid alarm system at all! 

From reading other posts, it might be a trip to dealer to disconnect it properly, or, if I'm reading one post correctly, a matter of separating and re-soldering the ignition feed wire which is wired to the little black box up above the clutch.  

The alarm horn, btw, had a cut black wire, so I just cut the red wire as well and taped both up.  Maybe that was causing a periodic short that was setting it off and killing the battery?

get a used remote off ebay ($30) and program it to your system.

this will allow you to easily turn off the alarm when it is activated,

and it if you program the remote into the system 4 times, filling all the possible remote slots,

you will eliminate error activations.

Subaru Keyless Entry, Security Alarm, Immobilizer Key, Remote Start Systems. Most years and models

or just unplug the wire connectors to the alarm ''box'' under the dash.

this will disable the alarm,

but it may also make your driver door lock manual.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks John, I tried unplugging the box and it won't start, unless I'm missing something?

really would rather just disable the thing.  we really don't need it here on Maui and I don't want to spend $30 for a remote my kid will probably lose.

that link you sent says this:

"Programming or Overriding the Alarm when you have lost the remote 
Open driver's door. 
Turn ignition key to 'On' 
Press and *hold programming button* in (see diagram, button under dashboard) 
After 15 seconds the the door locks will cycle 3 times. Do not release Programming button 
Press lock (left) button the remotes to be programmed. The door locks will cycle one time. 
Exit programming mode by releasing Programming button under dashboard and turning key to off. "

what I'm not understanding is that second to last line where it says:

"Press lock (left) button the remotes to be programmed."  

This reads like a misprint or bad English translation.  I thought this was for if the remotes were lost.  In any case, do you think they mean to have me press the lock button on the door?

Edited by 808Legacy

The system shouldn't be that hard to completely remove.  Get your head up under the dash and find the 4x6x1 black box with the wires attached to it.  Track each of them down to their respective taps and disconnect them.  I recently swapped the keyless entry from one legacy to another, it can be a little time consuming but nothing that can be done with simple tools and some patience.

I'll do that soon, just need to get the car away from my kid's mom for a spell.  (Gotta Bondo the holes above the windshield too!)

The system shouldn't be that hard to completely remove.  Get your head up under the dash and find the 4x6x1 black box with the wires attached to it.  Track each of them down to their respective taps and disconnect them.  I recently swapped the keyless entry from one legacy to another, it can be a little time consuming but nothing that can be done with simple tools and some patience.