Ultimate Subaru Message Board

insperation moves me brightly

ferp420

so i was thinking of building a role bar out of 1"tube maybe 1 1/4" just wounderin if any one.has.had the unfotunate luck of roling a ea82 wagon and or has pics of one roled my last parts wagon was roled and repaired befor i got it the repair rusted away thats why i scraped it but anyway there so light would i just be adding unecicary waight im thimking 1hoop and 2straight braces like a pick up just behind the drivers seat simple and hopefully wont add to much waight also any one know stock.waight of a ea82 wagon i can waigh my car when im finnished but im not sure what im shooting for

About 2600 lbs bone stock.  Give or take a few 100 for depending on options and excact year.  87+ are a tad heavier than earlier ones but pretty much any EA82 wagon is about 2600 lbs with no one in it, and an empty tank.

And If you ever plan on rolling it you will need a cage.  I have a rolled one out back of the shop now.  The driver was O.K, but the roof is crushed.  Weakest part is the A-pillars.  So I would say a good cage should actually run up from behind the dash, and up the A-pillar to a hoop over the top of windsheild.  Really an Exo would be better even.  No matter what that's gonna be weight.

Or just don't roll your rig.

Edited by Gloyale

pannel wagons dont have back doors lol no there not gona open i gutted a extra set of back doors and am gona skin the back area over with aluminum the exo cage is a great idea im almost there but whats there probly wont hold up in a role over so i would have to replace a bit to make it work maybe next incarnation i want to keep it mostly stock in front of the seats the back on the other hand is fair game all custom im debating keeping the plastic pannels in the back or not i dont think there is any room to gain or waight to lose there

gloyale do you have a pic of the damage glad to here driver was ok i dont plan on rolling it but isht happens you know i would be the guy upside down with my foot pined on the gas yelling out the window GO GO GO GO COME ON LETS GO been there done that lol

so i was thinking of building a role bar out of 1"tube maybe 1 1/4" just wounderin if any one.has.had the unfotunate luck of roling a ea82 wagon and or has pics of one roled my last parts wagon was roled and repaired befor i got it the repair rusted away thats why i scraped it but anyway there so light would i just be adding unecicary waight im thimking 1hoop and 2straight braces like a pick up just behind the drivers seat simple and hopefully wont add to much waight also any one know stock.waight of a ea82 wagon i can waigh my car when im finnished but im not sure what im shooting for

If your going to build a rollbar build it STRONG,because having a rollcage bend/buckle is much worse than not having a rollcage in the first place.Especially if one of the tubes breaks off and tries to impale you.As far as size goes SCCA says 1.5X.095 for cars up to 2500 lbs,1.5X.120 for 2500lb+ or 1.75x.095.

for low speed stuff 1.5x.095 would probally be strong enough,but I would build the main cage out of 1.75x.095 then build secondary tubes out of 1.5x.095.Thats for mild steel.Like I said I would overkill on a rollcage because the life you save might just be your own.

Edited by Uberoo

ok so 1 1/4'heavy wall should work just fine every thing is still in mock up and the bracing isent in the tube will be strong backed with 1/8 dimple plate for reinforcment but realy just there to cover the tires for the popos there is also gona make inner fender braces that will reinforce the front the back is kinda efed im hoping the door jam will be enuff reinforcement in it self i still like the fiberglass fenders beter but this stuff is cool to and im havin fun it keeps my mind workin and gives me somethin to do and best of all i get to test it all out when im done and if it breakes bends or mutilates somthin then so be it

and if the worst happens just swap what i want to the next one

dude where is the conduit coming from there is no conduit on this car its all heavy steal pipe and steal plate no conduit its no where close to finised but there will be no conduit harmed in the making of this car and did i say no conduit there isent any now or in the future oh and there is no conduit on this car unless you count the exaust other than that there is no conduit

So if it's not conduit.....what is it then?

It's Galvanized, so it's not regular structural steel.

It's not black pipe for gas line.

If it is indeed galvanized water pipe...(still I think it's conduit)...but even if it is "heavy steel pipe"  ..it's gonna bend and buckle and rip to shredds the first time you are tucking a tight turn around a tree.  Water pipe has ZERO structural integrity.  It's the worst of both worlds for this application.......soft and bendable AND easily ripped and cracked.

I applaud the work, and effort.......but I think you need to go back to the drawing board big time.

1 1/4 is not strong enough for a roll cage......espescially not if it's "whatever" that pipe you've got there.