Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Had 8 or more in last two months 95-04 outbacks legacys and imprezas all broken front springs seems to be getting more commen as these cars get older. Most are missing the bottom wrap of spring some broke in middle and some on top wrap. problem is that the broken piece can move into the tire cutting it and causing a crash or sudden tire failure. So if you have a high km 95 and up Subaru have your springs check regularly and watch for low corners on your car. Total of broken springs in last year 18 or more

Very common problem with coil springs in general. Best to just replace them when replacing struts.

If the lower and upper rubber insulator cushions are torn or missing it makes the problem 10 times worse because the coating on the springs rubs off against the perch on the strut and leaves bare metal unprotected.

Rust.  96 (and others?) Subaru Recall 01V216000:

Summary:

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH FRONT COIL
SPRINGS ORIGINALLY SOLD IN OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN THE STATES OF
CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, KENTUCKY, MAINE,
MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEW YORK, NEW
JERSEY, NEW HAMPSHIRE, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT,
VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA, AND WISCONSIN, AND IN THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA.
THE FRONT COIL SPRINGS WERE PRODUCED WITH POOR PAINT QUALITY WHICH,
AFTER CONTINUED EXPOSURE TO CORROSIVE SALT, CAN RESULT IN BREAKAGE OF
THE SPRING.

I looked for recalls when I bought my '95 Legacy wagon and saw this.  I have the spring guards mentioned in the remedy so I know my springs were replaced by the dealer at some point by one of the previous owners.

Recall Date:

JUN 25, 2001 

Model Affected:

1995 SUBARU LEGACY 

Summary:

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH FRONT COIL SPRINGS ORIGINALLY SOLD IN OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN THE STATES OF CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, KENTUCKY, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEW YORK, NEW JERSEY, NEW HAMPSHIRE, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT, VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA, AND WISCONSIN, AND IN THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA. THE FRONT COIL SPRINGS WERE PRODUCED WITH POOR PAINT QUALITY WHICH, AFTER CONTINUED EXPOSURE TO CORROSIVE SALT, CAN RESULT IN BREAKAGE OF THE SPRING. 

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/am/99/1995/subaru/legacy/base_sedan/341/recalls.html#ixzz2m4GemOPZ

Consequence:

DEPENDING ON THE LOCATION OF THE FRACTURE, A BROKEN SPRING COULD MOVE PAST THE SPRING SEAT AND CONTACT A FRONT TIRE. SOME TIRES HAVE DEFLATED DUE TO CONTACT WITH A BROKEN SPRING. 

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL NOTIFIY CUSTOMERS TO BRING THEIR VEHICLE TO AN AUTHORIZE DEALERSHIP TO HAVE A SPRING GUARD INSTALLED ON BOTH FRONT STRUTS TO PREVENT TIRE PUNCTURE AND REPLACE ANY BROKEN SPRINGS FREE OF CHARGE. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN SEPTEMBER 18, 2001. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT SUBARU AT 1-800-782-2783. 

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/am/99/1995/subaru/legacy/base_sedan/341/recalls.html#ixzz2m4Gadk26

I looked for recalls when I bought my '95 Legacy wagon and saw this.  I have the spring guards mentioned in the remedy so I know my springs were replaced by the dealer at some point

got a picture - i'm wondering what they look like?

in the recall - it says they install the guards but only replace broken springs.  having the guards does not mean the springs were replaced so yours could still be original.

The guard just bolts onto the lower spring seat. My dad's 95 Legacy had them put on a few years ago when he went in for a recall update. It has a flange that sticks up so if the spring does break it can't skip off the spring seat of the strut and cut the tire. If you non-outback legacy still has it's front tow hooks don't go to the dealer for any recall work. One of the other recalls was to cut off the tow loops to keep people from curb-bashing them when parking and setting off the airbags.