Ultimate Subaru Message Board
Haight

3" wheel spacers too much?

Just get some deeper offset wheels.

Those are pretty shallow.  A set of chevy 15" x 8 will stick out plenty.

Wheel spacers, espescially a 3" aren't the best idea.  1 " maybe but 3" is rediculous.

I personally like a narrower track for trails but to each there own.

• Like 1

hey if you get rid of those wheels i might be interested in them. oh and tomorrow is half off at pick and pull . you could probably get a set with more offset there for pretty cheap

The stance of your car is perfect. Wider will get you more rubbing in the front, make the steering more likely to try and break your hand if you catch a rock or root offroad, and attract attention from the cops.

Oh, and you will go through wheel bearings faster. There's no upside to a wider stance. "Stability" is not an issue when you can 4 wheel powersllide the car around the way it is. Be more concerned with how the car performs than what its "stance" looks like. I started with the aftermarket chevy wheels AKGhandi has and switched to the Mitsubishi wheels you have for all the reasons covered above, so I speak from direct experience.

i did deal with some rubbing in the front, but after alot of trimming and bashing i now have about 98% of the original turning radius.

Funny you should mention the steering trying to break your hand.. I have manual steering in mine and when I off road I keep my thumbs outside the wheel. it damn near broke my thumbs one time, hit a big ol' rock while doing about 15mph bent the strut and radius rod.

that said I'd do what woods wagon said, they look kinda cool but there isnt any real benefits.. aside from side slope stability.. and mud flinging.

Thanks for all the great info! Exactly what I was looking for.

I have no plans on getting new wheels. Love the ones that are on there. The picture doesn't show it but they don't stick out at all. If looking at it from the front, I can't see the tires. 

WoodsWagon, you have definitely deterred me from going with 3" spacers. Maybe just an inch? The tires rub on the strut towers so hopefully an inch will take care of that.

there was a article in 4 wheel mag about 20 or so years ago called practice thumbs up driving so you dont break your thumb when when wheelin i have since never wraped my thumb around the wheel after i read it it happend to me oohh i get it now sorry for the highjack anyway i run chevy wheels and they stick out just over 2" on each side also the hub is centered on the rim no off set i dont think they would be anyworse on the wheele berings or anything else no more than adding 29" tires would i would stay away from spacers they work but not for extream use and the steering just seems off and junk yard rims are cheaper than spacers anyway why risk a spacer failure although i have never seem them fail i have herd of it happening i had them on a few vehicles dident like them they now sit in a corner colecting aluminum rust and stuff