Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Distributor Advance Question

1993 Loyale, SPFI

With the timing set at 20 degrees BTDC the distributor is all the way at the end of it's travel...is that normal? I made sure that the rotor was pointed at the brake booster / cylinder 1 position so I don't think the distributor's off a tooth...

20 degrees sounds excessive but don't know anything about SPFI engines etc.

On my 86 leone (EA82) it was 10 degrees  btdc at idle (breakerless electronic distributor) with vacuum advance hose detatched using timing light ( with carburettor. for 91 fuel)

The vacuum advances/retards  (plate inside distributor moves and centrifical weights advances rotor so advances timing up to 35 degrees ? (from memory) when rev engine with vacuum hose back on.

Can check this with timing light / timing marks?

Never had to touch/replace anything there in the 23 years l had it apart from checking timing (with light) twice.

Engine maybe one crank rotation out of phase for distributor?

Did you move anything? Did you put it back in the same way you took it out?

If moved engine can take no.1 spark plug out and check that no. 1 piston is at TDC corresponding with TDC timing mark, to have engine in phase. then distributor @ no. 1 etc etc.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/136371-distributor-timing-problems-on-ea82/

Edited by subnz

Yeah, I connected the green connectors & made sure the car was warmed up, too. When it warms up a little I'll take the distributor out again and re-install. 

ivans, by "Tb off one tooth" do you mean the throttle body being out of adjustment?

Thanks for the help

Joel

Yeah, I connected the green connectors & made sure the car was warmed up, too. When it warms up a little I'll take the distributor out again and re-install.

ivans, by "Tb off one tooth" do you mean the throttle body being out of adjustment?

Thanks for the help

Joel

He means timing belt.

Yeah, take out the bolts, pick it up and rotate it one tooth advanced. set it back down in.

But really as long as the timing is set to 20 with the green connectors in, it doesn't hurt a thing for it to sit at the end of the adjustment.  If you can't actually get it to 20 degrees and locked down, then it needs moved.

I'd probably leave it alone unless you are taking it apart for other reasons, or it's running poor or something.  If all is well then leave it be.