Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hey guys i just bought a subaru impreza LX 1996 model i have a few questions and hope someone here will be able to answer

my parkers lights stay on , the front two side lights come on and so does the tail lights, head lights do not work however brake lights work, the light switch does not function

i took the car for registation inspection and the mechanic said i need "front bushes" replaced can someone tell me the name of these front bushes and where they go?

On the 95' Legacy there was a separate "Parking light switch" on the top of the actual steering column completely independent of the headlight switch. It's a rocker type switch and in the spot most cars usually put their hazard light switch. See if yours has one and if it's on. I've only used mine once and that's when I was checking the car out. Pretty sure it'll work with the keys removed. Turn it off and see if the light switch works.

No idea what "bushes" are. I'm guessing he meant "bushings", but not sure what he was referring to specifically. Should of had him point it out. Unless it's some weird Aussie slang for something else.

Edited by Bushwick
  • Like 1

On the 95' Legacy there was a separate "Parking light switch" on the top of the actual steering column completely independent of the headlight switch. It's a rocker type switch and in the spot most cars usually put their hazard light switch. See if yours has one and if it's on. I've only used mine once and that's when I was checking the car out. Pretty sure it'll work with the keys removed. Turn it off and see if the light switch works.

No idea what "bushes" are. I'm guessing he meant "bushings", but not sure what he was referring to specifically. Should of had him point it out. Unless it's some weird Aussie slang for something else.

awesome the switch on the steering column turned off the parkers lights off, i still have no head lights i will check that tomorrow

i think the mechanic might have said bushings i cant remember exactly as i needed a few other things done to the car and i had to remember it all, what bushings are there under the front half of the car? he did turn the steering wheel and point up inside of the arch area and said something about rods need changing? he also mentioned i needed new CV joints i was assuming this is what he pointed at

Yeah, I'd never seen a separate parking light like that before. Found mine by accident to be honest, but glad I was able to help. You might just have 2 burned out head lights. I'd check the fuses and see if the lights are bad. My Legacy had both corner brake lights burned out and I didn't even catch it right away, so it's possible.

Bad CV joints will manifest as a clicking sound on turns. Usually they fail if the rubber boot rips, which cause the grease to run out. Over time the joint fails and you'll hear clicking (this means they are toast and need replaced). If ignored TOO long, they separate and break. On FWD cars, you are dead in the water. On AWD, you might be able to limp it home.

On mine, I actually lost the clamp that holds the boot in place, and *some* grease was seeping out. Appears to have happened before buying the car. I was able to get a replacement clamp from Auto Zone designed specifically for CV boots. I put some fresh bearing grease in the boot, then tightened it back in place. Thankfully caught it in time. Walmart oddly enough sells a bag of steel clamps that appear to be the same. I bought some as back ups, but dunno if those stores exist there. Definitely get them taken care of. Turn your wheel hard right, then check driver side front, hard left for passenger side. Look at rubber boot right behind wheel for rips in the crease. Grease on the boot is a tell tale sign it's leaking.

Still not sure about bushings on those. Only bushings I can think of might be on the A-arm or for the strut bearing. Maybe an Impreza person will speak up.

Edited by Bushwick
  • Like 1

Yeah, I'd never seen a separate parking light like that before. Found mine by accident to be honest, but glad I was able to help. You might just have 2 burned out head lights. I'd check the fuses and see if the lights are bad. My Legacy had both corner brake lights burned out and I didn't even catch it right away, so it's possible.

Bad CV joints will manifest as a clicking sound on turns. Usually they fail if the rubber boot rips, which cause the grease to run out. Over time the joint fails and you'll hear clicking (this means they are toast and need replaced). If ignored TOO long, they separate and break. On FWD cars, you are dead in the water. On AWD, you might be able to limp it home.

On mine, I actually lost the clamp that holds the boot in place, and *some* grease was seeping out. Appears to have happened before buying the car. I was able to get a replacement clamp from Auto Zone designed specifically for CV boots. I put some fresh bearing grease in the boot, then tightened it back in place. Thankfully caught it in time. Walmart oddly enough sells a bag of steel clamps that appear to be the same. I bought some as back ups, but dunno if those stores exist there. Definitely get them taken care of. Turn your wheel hard right, then check driver side front, hard left for passenger side. Look at rubber boot right behind wheel for rips in the crease. Grease on the boot is a tell tale sign it's leaking.

Still not sure about bushings on those. Only bushings I can think of might be on the A-arm or for the strut bearing. Maybe an Impreza person will speak up.

yeah  when i turn hard right the car is making a ticking/squeeking noise, i will order new CV drive shafts as i do a lot of country trips and would hate to be stuck somewhere due to one going bad

im glad there are forums like this as i often do my own mechanical work but i dont like problem solving :)