Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello All,

I'm looking to get a code reader as my CEL came on. Not that it's a big deal but I figured it would be handy to have a code reader anyway and then I can clear the CEL. I've been reading over websites about how to choose and through this forum. The only topic from this year that I found relating to choosing a code reader was for ones that hook up to a laptop. I'd rather have a unit that stand alone so unfortunately it wasn't much help.

Off the top of my head my wants are:

-live view with recording,

-on-screen definitions of codes,

-laptop not necessary,

-ISO-9141 compatible,

-$100-ish or less with shipping.

I came across this: http://www.autel.us/Products/al519.htm

It seems decent, maybe a cheaper brand but seems to cover the bases. Any thought? Thanks!

Thank you for the suggestions. The one ShawnW could be good but I'm trying to stay away from ones that need a smartphone or laptop as I don't have a cellphone and don't have a spot to easily put a laptop near the car. Though it look pretty good for the price. I had actually checked out the one that lmdew mentioned and it got to my final three. If I was going for a lower price point it would definetly be the one I would get. Good product and under $25. Checks and clears code and has decent reviews.

I look around some more and at the two suggestions I got on here; however, I ended up going with the AL519 from Autel. The reviews were decent and it has a few more features that may be handy while not being too costly. Though if someone is looking to just check and clear codes I'd go with lmdew's suggestion.

Thanks all.