Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Camping trip/Road trip results! pictures!

well we made it home, after a wild fun crazy adventure around washington state (and a little bit in oregon too!)

day 1, saturday... we started out at my work, at 6pm.... went to my house to pick up people, and then headed out... stopped at Zekes drive in on highway 2, to meet up with Matt and Leanne... then we proceeded up and over Stevens pass, and stopped for gas and snacks in leavenworth (at like 11pm) after not too much longer, we arrived at the "campsite" and set up...there were 2 tents, and one wagon sleeper... its amazing how one front passenger seat can hold people sleeping in it! :brow:

next morning, day 2, sunday. waking up to nice quiet morning sun... and a lot of moisture in the car (it was raining inside!) but it was still nice compared to a wet tent...

got everyone up finally... thanks to Erik bringing the wonderous propane grill! and spam and eggs!!!! I dropped the spam when it slid out of the can, but nothing a little water cant fix! we ate breakfast, and then played around the camp.. climbed up the hill and looked in an old mine.

we then packed up, and drove up Old Blewett Pass Highway, to find more rocks and hills to climb, and we also came up to a snow bank on the road, where a RAV4 was stuck.... we pulled him out with waterwagon, and then told him how to do the "speed thru" style of offroading... so he gunned it, and made it thru!

we kept going, but decided to go back to Leavenworth, and tour the town.

we had fun, ate some chocolate, cheese and pepperoni from misc tourist stores, and then headed out

on our way back up Blewett Pass, (highway 97) Matt's hatch decided to blow out a rubber plug (the ones that PAP put into the oil pan when they stab it and drain the oil) and he lost all of his oil in 10 secs...!!!! the only option was to replace the pan, and so we contacted Jerry in Seleah, and he was able to get a pan, but he couldnt bring it to us... we ended up using waterwagon to rope tow the hatch about 60 miles up 2 more passes all the way to Seleah, where matt could fix it.

finally fixed at about 9pm, and we continued on our way- we got to the Oregon border, and went into Biggs.... we had ... dinner?... at a 24hr Mcdonalds! then we drove down I-84 a little farther, and found a picknick/rest stop area... we pulled in and made a triangle out of the cars, and 3 of us camped right on the pavement (sleeping bags only) and the rest were in the cars...

day3.. monday

morning awakening at 6:15... a train blows by about 20 feet from where we were sleeping!!! but we got a good morning start. we drove up to Mary Hill, where the replica Stonehenge is, and had breakfast there (in the parking lot)

we played around a little bit, then headed out back on the highway 14 west...

we stopped at a place thats off the side of the road, where there is a lot of rock climbibg area, and we hiked around there for quite a while... lots of good view points, and nice climbing areas!

once "finished" there, (we were starting to get dehydrated from the heat and the running around) we pushed on..

I thought it would be fun and more scenic if we took a different path than the major highways, so I looked at the map and saw a road system that went between Mt Adams, and Mt St. Helens, and we started up that way... the high altitude climb began... we kept getting higher and higher, then realised that there was more and more snow on the roadways (yes, it was still about 80 degrees though!)

we got to a spot where the snow was too deep to even get the lifted subarus thru (it was more like compact ice, which we couldnt push out of the way)

from there we turned around. headed back to the main highway along the Coumbia, then up I-5 where it became a subaru trio race... though they couldnt really go over the speed limit much, it was still a fun race....

the pictures are all in my album, http://usmb.net/gallery/album189

all in all, it was a fun time, we will have to do this again with a bigger croud (and maybe with spare parts?)

One of us pulled out too closely to an oncoming car making them swerve (is that how you spell it?) and the car coming towards us just so happened to be a cop -oops- maybe next time we could have someone with a snowplow on their car?;) anyway it was great riding with austin just need to get used to high speeds in snow, that will take a while.

So was that you that got pulled over or Matt, or you for rope towing Matt? Looks like you guys had fun! Hope that you have a bigger group next time though, how many people actually went anyway? Just don't forget, after you blew up your last motor (after rope towing the sliver wagon and the moron wagon with it) you said that you were not going to use your car for towing again. Don't be surprised when your motor blows up again! Glad to see that you all enjoyed yourselves! Lots of cool pictures too!

Cool pics Austin. Props on the new paint job! Looks sharp out there in it's natural element. Outbackish yet oldschoolish too. Very cool. That Stonehenge photo of the three Soobs should be on a calendar fer sure.

no the cop was before matt blew the rubber plug. we actually passed 2 maybe 3 cops one of them was undercover while towing, they didn't really seem to care. there was 6 of us on the trip...(i think if you count people in pics you would be able to tell that out :D ) but yesum it was great more people would might have been fun. over heating of engines was great time to strech after being in the back seat of a wagon for how many hours? lol