Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3rd gen LEG and BAJA hoods/headlights differences?

I recently have been helping a friend "repair" her 2000 Legacy Outback from a recent collision with an ELK!!!  Hood, smashed, and drivers headlight busted and pushed in.  Fender dented in but not crumpled back into door at all.  Most of the force was in the "fall" of the elk onto the hood more than the "hit" pushing in.  But anyhow......

The car had previously been "repaired" from a front end collision, so the passenger side headlight was already sunk in a tad.

I sourced a '03 Baja hood and headlight.....cheap...with a bit of wrinkles but should match the car well since the fenders are not perfect, and the Bumper skin is gone.  (a lift and bullbar are coming soon.....so the mad max...not so perfect look is fine)

After bolting it all up,...it seems the hood and headlight are 3/4 inch or so longer than they should be.  It really doesn't seem like the rad support is that far off.  In fact it measures out to within 1/4" of a stock undamaged reference car.  But still the hood and driver headlight are noticably farther forward in front than the headlight on the other side.

Does anyone no if there is a difference in these hoods headlights?  did they make the front end longer a hair when they introduced the H6?  And Baja didn't have an H6 so why would they be longer?  Or is something still just "off" with the front support piece?  Anyone?

I knew a guy that put a Baja hood on a 3rd Gen Legacy just for having a hood scoop. He never said anything about having any fitment issues, but I guess that doesn't mean there weren't any. 

Yeah.....but is that Leggy an 02 or newer?

I'm wondering if the early ones (2000,20001) before the H6 was introduced were shorter? 

The car I'm dealing with is a 2000.   Hood from an 03 Baja.

Yeah.....but is that Leggy an 02 or newer?

I'm wondering if the early ones (2000,20001) before the H6 was introduced were shorter? 

The car I'm dealing with is a 2000.   Hood from an 03 Baja.

Such an unusual question. Unlikely anyone has tried to do this before...........maybe easier to use a tape measure to compare hood dimensions?

It will fit. There are a couple of minor differences. The horns on the later hood are a little shorter, and the windshield washer squirters are a little closer together. Nothing that most people would even notice.

So, Yes. I'd say the rad support is off. Around $60 for a new one. You'd need a spot weld remover, and a welder to attach it.

Edited by zedhead