Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 Swap to GL trannmisson question.

Suba_GL_87

Lol I always get a kick out of your posts.

This info can e found in the retrofitting forum in the EJ swap thread for sure.

But yes, you use the clutch the goes with the transmission, so the EA82 5 spd 4wd clutch kit. The XT6 kit has better clamping force though. The whole reason behind using a redrilled and resurfaces flywheel, is because you need the EA82 flywheel, to bolt onto the EJ motor.

the xt6 is a 2.7 liter, 6 cylinder. hence the 6. just order the clutch  kit for that model, try 199o year, the xt6 and the gl share the same platform, withthe '6 having a stronger pressure plate, same clutch disc, the xt6 uses a lighter flywheel, but it bolts on the same ans any gl/loyale and will use either disc or pressure plate.

The XT6 and the standard 4wd pressure plates are now the same listing, so theres no reason to go for a XT6 pressure plate. If you do find one, its just not needed anyway. Just have your ea82 flywheel ground to XT6 specifications at a machine shop and you'll get the extra clamping force on a normal presure plate. It cost me $40 to have done and that way, you start with a clean flywheel. Its what I did and I've had zero issues of clutch slippage turning 31's and I also used my old clutch disc.

Josh

I've been going back and forth on this and reading a lot in preparation for my own frankenmotor build. I'm currently running an EJ22 Phase II on my 87 dual range transmission. I'm using a stock 4wd EA82 clutch kit (throw-out bearing, pressure plate, disc) and it drives fine. When I replace it I will use the proper EXEDY XT6 clutch kit or what ever equivalent is available. It seems this is not made anymore.

The only time I notice a lack of clutch grip is when I'm off-road and need to slip the clutch a bit. The modulation is very poor. During normal street driving, there are no problems at all with running a stock EA82 clutch kit.

When I do the frankenmotor mod, I will definitely upgrade the clutch to handle the higher torque.

Do ea81 gls use the same clutch as a ea82? I want to use my original 4 speed d/r with a adapter plate and flywheel from sjr. Should i order a ea82 clutch kit and then have the flywheel ground to xt6 specs? sorry if im repeating i just want to make sure. Thanks

5spd flywheel and clutch kit will not work with the 4spd

Throw out is wrong and so is the clutch disc. 

Really it would be better touse a redrilled 4spd flywheel, and use the 4spd clutch.

I have a redrilled 4spd flywheel here that I would sell you.

PM me.....I also sell adapter plates made from steel with full size threaded holes and alignment dowels........unlike SJR plates.

Edited by Gloyale

I thought (trying to recall from years ago's memory) that a 4spd pp and clutch disc can be used with an ea82 flywheel. Correct me if i am wrong.

Also, if i remember correctly, my ej motor in my 3door originally came in a brat with a 4spd, and it had an ea82 flywheel on it, was not beveled on the edge like a ea81, and fit with xtd clutch and pp. it would have had the 4spd disc in it, but i don;t recall if the pp was different. 

Edited by MilesFox

I thought (trying to recall from years ago's memory) that a 4spd pp and clutch disc can be used with an ea82 flywheel. Correct me if i am wrong.

Also, if i remember correctly, my ej motor in my 3door originally came in a brat with a 4spd, and it had an ea82 flywheel on it, was not beveled on the edge like a ea81, and fit with xtd clutch and pp. it would have had the 4spd disc in it, but i don;t recall if the pp was different. 

Yes the Larger style 83+  4spd PP will bolt to the EA82 flywheel.  However, the EA82 flywheel is not as thick, so starter engages about 1/8" less of the teeth.

But he asked if he could use that and an EA82 or XT6 clutch set.  Which will not work with a 4spd.  Throwout is wrong, and disc has too large an inside diameter.  On;y the PP could be used, and you would need a different throwout.....possibly Isuzu trooper.  Nissan 720 throwout is for going the other way....(EA82 trans with EA81 clutch setup)

If he's sticking with the 4spd, he should use the 4spd flywheel and clutch set.  Could be done with an EA82 flywheel and mix and match clutch parts but easier to keep it all matched.

• 1 year later...