crank (not sure if I can) the 2.2 rods, bore the cylinders for 2.5 N/A
pistons, phase 1 2.5 sohc Z25 heads with the cams reground for proper throw
and duration to maintain non interference. Arp head studs, a good gasket
set (tbd) sti intake manifold phase 1, aftermarket header, down pipe
and muffler. Tdo5-20g turbo and and finally a 2.5x ECU. Please let me
know if there is anything that will not work and why. Thank you for
your time, it is much appreciated.

Cannot bore a 2.2 block to 2.5 size

Sti intake is for dual port engine will not fit SOHC heads.

You have a complete engine in pretty good form there.  Best thing you could do besides leaving it alone would be maybe some 2.5D heads and intake and the TDO5.

You will never keep the configuration you spoke of Non-interfernece....the EJ22t you have is non-interference RIGHT NOW......change heads and it will be interference.

Heck.if your goal is reliable performance, .sell the EJ22t ......throw an EBAY header, the TD04/5, and some bigger injectors and a tune on the 2.5 in the forester, run 3~5lbs boost you'll have as much HP and probably more torque and all at lower RPMS.

^+1

And to add...

Look up 'stroker' builds on NASIOC and Legacy Central BBS. There are a # of these around the US. Also, Wiseco makes an oversized piston for the EJ22T

Some of the issues w/your build are the pistons, Turbo size and EM (engine management).

A 20G is a BIG turbo. People who use it are running a custom built engine - or will be after they blow the ringlands on the stock turbo pistons. The TD04 might work, but still pushing it.

You wouldn't want NA pistons in a turbo build. For all the machine work you're planning there's no sense in not going w/forged pistons and better rods. Plus you've got to lower the compression to make decent boost #'s (unless you're running a newer Direct Injection turbo like on the Ford Ecoboost or Hyundai turbocharged engines).

I'm not sure what you  mean by the "2.5x" ECU?? The X wasn't turbo'd and the XT wasn't 'til '04 and won't work w/your '01.

EM is crucial for running a turbo. Esp. on a non-turbo ECU. This means a piggy-back, standalone, or full harness swap from a WRX or similar. I've not read where the stock NA ECU's can be tuned. You can look on the  RomRaider forum to see what's been done....

I know we're playing devil's advocate, but I've been thru this more than once and it gets $$ and frustrating when it doesn't work as planned.

Seriously consider the fact that your car will be down TWICE as long you think it will take to install of this and COST TWICE as much as you budget.

I'd get some Delta Cams and call it good on your Forester or sell it and save up for an XT or WRX.

If you want a cheap(er) turbo car, you can buy an older Legay and swap it. Much easier and cheaper.

GL,

TD

Edited by wtdash

Thanks for the help, I found the wiesco pistons that were mentioned and will probably get them and have found some 2.5 DOHC heads locally. My friend that is running the EJ22t hybrid has a ECU from a 96 impreza that has been reflashed for his specs from a guy in Seattle, and has his phone #. I am going to try to get ahold of him. Also, I am debating using a plug an play maga squirt ECU as I have used several of these before on other builds. What piston rings and rods are recommended?

My friend that is running the EJ22t hybrid has a ECU from a 96 impreza that has been reflashed for his specs from a guy in Seattle, and has his phone #. I am going to try to get ahold of him. 

Are you sure this isn't the Rob Tune? Sounds like 'BoostedSubie's Impreza. 

The Rob Tune is an EJ20G ECU that has an added chip, but it's not compatible w/anything newer than a '94 Legacy (unless you do a full harness swap, too - which I know BoostedSubie did.)

Edited by wtdash

Thanks for the help, I found the wiesco pistons that were mentioned and will probably get them and have found some 2.5 DOHC heads locally. My friend that is running the EJ22t hybrid has a ECU from a 96 impreza that has been reflashed for his specs from a guy in Seattle, and has his phone #. I am going to try to get ahold of him. Also, I am debating using a plug an play maga squirt ECU as I have used several of these before on other builds. What piston rings and rods are recommended?

Run the rings that come with the new pistons. On a budget? Rods, how much you want to spend?

Are you sure this isn't the Rob Tune? Sounds like 'BoostedSubie's Impreza. 

The Rob Tune is an EJ20G ECU that has an added chip, but it's not compatible w/anything newer than a '94 Legacy (unless you do a full harness swap, too - which I know BoostedSubie did.)

Looking at his build sheet, it is a rob tune, so I believe im just going to a maga squirt ecu