Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Flywheel & Starter Grind

ebarb

After reading a bit on the forums I think I've found out there is an EA81 flywheel with 105 teeth and another with 115 teeth. Here's the story. I bought an EA81 from someone that was out of a BRAT, unknown year. I took it in and had it rebuilt at the machine shop. I used the flywheel that came with it and installed it all into my 81 GL 4x4 Wagon which supposedly has the tranny out of an 83 Wagon. When I try to start up the engine there is a wicked loud knocking sort of grind when it's trying to start up. What appears to be happening is the starter never disengages and keeps grinding against the flywheel. I've gnarled up the flywheel pretty bad, but I think technically it's probably still fine. I tried shimming the starter out with a couple of thick washers, but that doesn't help even remotely. I'll be counting the teeth tonight on both flywheels I have to see if there's a difference. However I'm a bit at my wits end because I've already had to pull this newly rebuilt engine once to have the engine shop fix something they messed up. A friend mentioned maybe changing out the bendix gear on the starter or getting a starter for the 105 tooth version. However I also read that the 115 tooth version is needed to drive all four wheels. Can anyone provide any more illumination?  Thanks.

Eli

A friend mentioned maybe changing out the bendix gear on the starter or getting a starter for the 105 tooth version. However I also read that the 115 tooth version is needed to drive all four wheels. Can anyone provide any more illumination?  Thanks.

Eli

I have never heard of different # of teeth on the flywheels.  Older 4spds had a smaller face in the middle and smaller disc but outside of trans and starters stayed the same so I can't see how the outside edge of the flywheel could be different and never heard of that.

Are you using a 4spd or 5spd trans?

Are you certain the engine is turning over when you turn the key to start?

I had a similar issue with my EA81, and it turns out my engine is actually seized,

producing a wicked sound from where the bendix gear contacts the flywheel.

I shimmed it out as you have, as well as swapped starters entirely, before i realized the engine is locked up.

Bum deal, but rule it out before getting too far.