Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'86 GL 4WD 5-speed Wagon: What Struts?

I like the high stiff ride that was on the wagon when I bought it new in '86. What type of struts do I want, to get back to that stage? I don't want it jacked up any more than the original state. It is a 4WD. The shocks/struts have never been replaced.

Can you recommend any brands? What brands should I stay away from? And do I want gas or air struts?

Stupid questions - do the front and rear both have struts? Are they called something else in the front?

I DO NOT WORK ON CARS (female senior citizen).

I can offer little help seeing as somehow Ive never had to replace any suspension components on my EA82.

But I know KYB is a popular replacement brand. It is more performance oriented.  Monroe is another brand that comes across as an economic "stock" replacement. 

To my knowledge Gas shocks can withstand more abuse and generally have a longer life compared to just Air and oil. For daily driving situations it shouldn't make much a difference.

Someone please correct me if Im wrong.

The front is a MacPherson Strut design. As the rear is more of a coil over shock style.

Good luck.

Edited by 81EA81

The strut (which your car has at all four corners) is the spring combined onto a shock. It's possible but unlikely that the spring portion of the struts is worn, as well as the shock parts (unless you've done a lot of harsh driving, such as off-roading, or years of driving around with so much cargo that the back end was sagging); I wouldn't think you'd need to also replace the springs.

When you buy new 'struts', what you'd be getting is the shock portion complete with the seats for the springs, but not the springs, and the shop would be swapping your old springs onto the new struts. Replacing them will restore the "stiffness" you're looking for, as the worn shock portion is allowing the springs part to bounce a little more than it used to.

As 81EA81 said, the KYB branded struts would be really good but cost a bit more. 

Edited by SmashedGlass

Thank you both. I don't mind paying "a bit more" for good struts. I'm guessing I want gas struts. Besides getting the stiffer ride I'm looking for, would I also get lift? My car seems to have "sank" over the years. The gas is mostly gone from the factory struts? I'm just guessing here.

That's what I'm looking for, direct OEM replacements. The

KYB GR-2/EXCEL-G SHOCK ABSORBERS AND STRUT ASSEMBLIES at AutopartsWarehose seem like a good buy. Free shipping too.

at AutoParts Ware house seem like a good price.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?Ntt=1986+Subaru+Struts&searchType=global&N=0&submit=