Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1983 Subaru Wagon GL Key switch needed

Hi Folks: I am in need of an igntion key switch for my 1983 Subaru GL wagon. I have been starting  the car by putting a flathead screwdiver, and cranking it that way. I'm attaching a cpl pics so you know the exact part I need. It MUST have a key (for obvious reasons). I think what has happened is that the notches on the key itself are just so worn down that the key will NOT turn to crank the car unless I jiggle the key, and that's no fun. Besides that, where I live here in Alabama, the cops have roadblocks all the time, and if the cops see that one part of the switch, where the three wires are soldered on in the pic, they might think I stole the car even though I have the tag reciept, title, and insurance in my name. Thanks a LOT if you have a key, or maybe know how I can fix the problem. And since I am VERY new to the site, and haven't yet figured out how to "follow" all the thread etc, you can email me at chuckalexander@centurylink.net 

post-35086-0-88687300-1387664175_thumb.jpgpost-35086-0-91900600-1387664193_thumb.jpgIf that (posting my email addy) is against the rules, I apologize in advance.  Chuck Alexander

Good luck. Good working early ignition switches are hard to come by. You could remove the barrel from the housing and pull the little horseshoe shaped tumblers from the barrel, but then any key will start the car. Not much different than any screwdriver being able to start it.

Jonas: Thanks a lot. And yeah, I am finding out that they are VERY hard to find. I re-looked at the key a cpl hours ago  and notice the key I thing is what's worn out. It was bent a little and the tumbler ridges and/or valley's (I guess that's what the ridges and/or vally's are called on a key). I'm going to take the key to my local locksmith Monday and get a duplicate key made, and maybe it will work. Worth a try I guess at this point. Thanks again, Chuck

jonas: BTW. If the new key doesn't work I'll do what you said about removoing the tumblers, but for security reasons I'l  do what I did when my Ex wife kept trying to steal a '73 Plymouth Duster some 33 or so yrs ago. The judge awarded Me the car, as I bought it BEFORE we got married and in FL, I guess that was the way the law read on "no contest divorces". See, she still had a key, so she could have just jumped in the car, fired it off, and took off with it. EXCEPT the fact that I outsmarted LOL. I went up under the dash, and found the main hotwire going from the ignition out to the starter etc. So, I cut that big, main wire, and installed a well hidden switch to the wire way up under the dash that was easy for me to get to, but would have been a LOT of trouble for her trying to find out what had happened. I could see the car from the window up in my barracks, and she came up there one day trying to "steal" the car. And when shetried the key thos time, it wouldn't do ANYTHING. I just came down there and laughed at her. Man was she mad as a hornet, because before she left with her new boyfriend, I got in the car, flipped the switch, cranked it up and drove off, waving at the two of them. So, she just sat there giving me the "You're #1" symbol with her middle fingers ahhaha. She came back again about three times, but FINALLY just gave up trying. Chuck

Nice one on the duster hehe! Ok, disconnect the battery.pull the cover off the barrel, the piece with the on/off/acc stamped on it. It's crimped on so it's not hard to get off. slide out that black plastic piece on the bottom of the barrel. not sure if you can get it off at this point or you have to wait till the barrel is out, it's been awhile since i've done this. now, looking at the switch head on, at about the 5 o'clock position there will be a tiny screw (maybe not, i've heard some don't have it.) holding the barrel in. it may be covered up by a piece of solder or something like that. it is pretty easy to get out with some digging at it, at least mine was. once you remove the screw you should be able to insert your key and pull the barrel out. there might be a black plastic half circle(?) piece in front of the barrel you will need to remove. once you get the barrel out you will see the little spring loaded horse shoe shaped tumblers you need to pull out.

once you have the thing apart it will make sense as to what i'm talking about. they are really simple.

hi,

good description on doing this jonas !   however i have done this many times , never had a screw to work with.. all of them i've seen had a tiny pin , pressed in and required  that you drill a notch and use some pick tool to remove it.  i'll bet the one you had was worked on before and another person put that screw in it to make life easy next time, when you did it.   anyway the overall description of the process is very good and is something most of us can handle,, 2 thumbs up !  

by the way, that one for sale is waaay different form the one in question and  " WILL NOT"  fit this application.

Edited by ruparts

I seem to remember something about taking the passenger side lock to a dealer and them being able to make or order or something a key based off the numbers on the lock mechanism.  That was a while ago, someone else here may have more details on it.  However if it is a matter of just needing a new key and the lock its self is not the issue that may be the way to go.