Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wheel adapters and safety

So I've got 2 sets of wheels just sitting in my garage. 1 set of xxr 530 which are both 5x100 and 5x114.3, and a set of '13 limited sti BBS which are 5x114.3. I would love to play around with different wheels on the brat but I do not want to compromise safety.

Now I see people running wheel spacers all the time, my question is how safe are they? Do they need to be made out of any specific type of metal? Most of the ones I've come across on ebay are aluminum. Here is an example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-25mm-1inch-Wheel-Spacer-Adapter-12-x-1-25-Studs-4x100-Convert-To-5x100-/370964295276?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item565f31ee6c&vxp=mtr

Does anyone know what bolt pattern the stock brat uses? I can only assume from my short time on this board they are 4x140 but I would appreciate conformation. 

Wheel spacers can be safe but just like any other mod you do to your car there will be precautions to take.  Make sure you get quality spacers and make sure when you install them you torque down the wheels properly.  In some of the larger vehicles I've built we saw some premature hub/bearing wear but the vehicles were also much MUCH heavier.  

how many race cars do you see running wheel adapters? Wheel spacers and adapters can be safe but really only for street applications with nice gentle driving.If they were strong how come the manufacturs don't make hubs out of aluminum?

http://www.dana.com/wps/wcm/connect/dext2cv/commercial+vehicle/home/products/hub+systems/lms

They do make aluminum wheel hubs, most likely with a T6 heat treatment...

Wheel spacers/adapters can be made safe, but it takes some real engineering.  Most folks, especially around this board, are not willing to pay for that.

• Like 1