Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lowest a 4WD GL can go?

So I'm in the process of doing a Shakotan build on my GL-10, Its 4WD and the lowest I've been able to get it so far is about an inch lower than my CRX's stock ride height. I feel like I'm fighting Goliath here trying to get this down, does anyone have documentation of a 4WD Loyale or GL slammed? I've personally seen it on a FWD one, it was scraping the frame, but never on a 4WD so far.

My setup currently is:
XT front struts stock wagon springs
Stock struts in back with CRX coilover sleeves in back all the way down.

I have a pic of where it sits now. What am I doing wrong? lol I got a winter and a blown head gasket so I got time to sort this stance out. I also have some NB Miata rear struts I can pop in but need to get another set of coilover sleeves that will fit on them.

post-48597-0-45391400-1387773936_thumb.jpg

Edited by AWD J3wman

have you tried getting shorter springs? My brat is pretty low but the rears torsion bar I clocked it as low as I could and then put a shock out of a chevy luv in the rear. the front I fitted 2wd front suspension out of a gl-10 with some slight modifications. 

11302105315_726702a758.jpg

If I can get my first gen this low I am sure you can get yours lower.

I'm trying to get mine lower also. But as the interior & other parts are not currently fitted, it looks like it's got a lift kit :P

Got some lowered springs on XT parts to try.

Get a spare set of springs & start cutting them to see what happens.

I'd also suggest getting some coilovers made. Suspension shops here will custom fit the threaded sleeve to existing struts/shocks. That way you can keep some spring height, but still wind it down.

I think I'll end up going this route.

You can really get down there. Technically you don't even need coilovers in the rear, any 2.5" diameter circle track spring at about 8" will get you tucked just right on the stock shocks. Flipping the rear mount with the BFH clearance method gets you an inch or so while retaining your travel so that is worth doing...I am going to run GC Impreza front lowering springs and generic rears on my XT. Should have it ready soon (wheel bearings coming first).

There is always the old thread for pics...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/66334-any-one-have-any-pictures-of-lowered-ea82s

rollingRX.jpg

• Like 2

You can really get down there. Technically you don't even need coilovers in the rear, any 2.5" diameter circle track spring at about 8" will get you tucked just right on the stock shocks. Flipping the rear mount with the BFH clearance method gets you an inch or so while retaining your travel so that is worth doing...I am going to run GC Impreza front lowering springs and generic rears on my XT. Should have it ready soon (wheel bearings coming first).

There is always the old thread for pics...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/66334-any-one-have-any-pictures-of-lowered-ea82s

Flipping the rear mount with a Big effing hammer? how?

I used coilovers off a CRX so I dont need to cut, mine are already about 8" tall, including the last .25" on the sleeve. Taking out the sleeve will net me another 1.25" drop, what all do you got for your set up?

Flipping the mount you need clearance directly above the shock.  Where the shock nut/washer/rubber are on top.  I

Used a big punch hit with the hammer to keep the bashing centered where it was needed.   There is a hole in the layers of sheet stamping right where it needs to be just punch that up 1/2" or so.

• 3 months later...

Take item #12 in the following picture off the strut assembly, flip it, reinstall on strut. Simple. 

Use spring/strut compressors, obviously.

E732230.gif

Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, would the same concept with sleeve overs and etc work on a 4x4 gl wagon?

yes I am doing that. Mine is a GL-10 AWD Turbo with rear disc brakes. Are you trying to raise or lower it?

• 4 months later...