Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Carter-Weber Help Needed

I have an '83 GL wagon with a Carter-Weber.

It has been sitting for ~20 years, so I pulled the carb and cleaned it out. I did not have a manual, so I certainly could have missed something, but I cleaned as much as I could find.

After reinstalling everything, the carb is not flowing fuel. It will fire a few times, then die. If I squirt gas directly into the carb it runs fine.

The two options would seem to be that a jet or two is still plugged, or the bowl is not filling with fuel..

Could anyone help me understand what all the solenoids do?

I also saw mention of a metering rod, what is this/what does it do?

Basically, I'm trying to understand the possible causes of no fuel.

hi,

if it has been sitting that long , you needed to #1 , drain all the fuel from the tank first,  put in some new gas.   next , replace the filters, front ,, and at the pump,,   then are you sure the fuel pump is working,  and getting fuel to the carburetor?    it will not run the pump by just turning on the ignitionto to on, you need to have the motor cranking over or running as you said by putting gas in the carb directly to check it,, after these things are in order you have a good possibility to get it running, but if you are working with the fuel that was in the tank ,  no way it's going to run. 

the carter /weber is the odd carb setup but they will work.   i think a kit for them is a no go nowdays,  if you got it back together right it should run even if rough. 

by no fuel do you mean it is not getting to the carb ? or just not getting through the carb?

post some additional information as to what all you have done and it helps someone to help you out.

Edited by ruparts
  • Like 1

hi,

i recently tried to gravity feed fuel to my dodge van to make it run,  i found that it was not enough pressure to make gas go through the needle and seat into the bowl.  just saying , i could not make the gravity  work for my carb so maybe it won't  do it on this.   if you can get a pump to do it it may make life better,  i put on a pump and it did the job.