Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea81 brat Engine fights when given gas

ADK

Ive got an ongoing issue with my 1985 brat, it fights and hesitates when i gibe it gas, sometimes stalling the engine. If i very lightly tap the pedal, its fine. If i floor it, it will hesitate very briefly and then rev up properly. Its right in the middle where i have the most problems, the position you would use most for daily driving. Ive rebuilt and cleaned the carburetor (my first time, i may have missed the problem here) and the problem persists. Changed spark plugs, distributor cap and even added a little fuel additive, but im not getting any improvements. It isnt so much of a problem when the car is warmed up, but i dont have 7 or so minutes to spare every time i need to get somewhere. Anything i should be checking that ive missed? A simple solution right in front of me? Ive even considered a FI manifold and ecu transplant if it means the car will run fine again. I will try to add a link to a video of the problem when i m off work tonight.

Did you remove and blow out the emulsion tubes???  4 of them....2 are under brass caps the other 2 screw out directly.  It sounds like the primary main emulsion tube and the secondary slow emulsion are clogged.  Probably the secondary worst of all.

If you do not want to remove them or they won't come out (sometimes the brass strips out.)  You can remove the bowl plugs.....and try removeing the jets at the bottom of the bowl.  Then with the brass caps removed blow compressed air through the tops of the tubes.

Were goggles....avoid spraying gas everywhere if you can.....don't blow the ball out of the accel pump and lose it.

Also, did you remvoe the air horns and replace the orings between them and the carb base?  that too is a must.

With all that said.....this is a carbed car.  They need to warm up.  It really isn't unreasonable to have to warm the car up for at least 2-3 mins before driving.....and if you don't you gotta forgive a bit of hesitation.  This is just true for any carbed rig and something that older generations just expected to have to do.

• Like 1

could be a vacuum leak.  does it idle fine or is it erratic?

I would also check all your hose routings before pulling the carb back off.  if you have the hitachi make sure all the valves are plumbed correctly, and if you went to a weber then make sure they are all plugged properly.

what caused you to rebuild the carb?

I would also check all your hose routings before pulling the carb back off. 

No need to take carb off to clean out the jets/emulsions and rebuild the upper half.

Only time I ever remove them is if base gasket is leaking, or throttle shaft so bad whole carb needs replaced (only needed to do that once)

otherwise, I just take the top off and the plugs out of the bowl and clean it/rebuild it all like that on the manifold.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the input guys.

CWP8, Yes it does still have the hitachi, ive heard from meany people that weber is the way to go. If i cant solve this myself then that may be what i look into next, that or a EFI swap. And it will die when i first start it, i have to pump it a couple times to keep it going but once i overcome that it idles quite nicely.

GLoyale, im really not sure if i did. I took the carb apart and ran air through all the crevices i could find, but i am not very familiar with carbs and probsbly did not get those thoroughly. The previous owner left the car to sit for a year and a half so im sure there could be some old gas buildup stuck in there.

Djellum, I do have vacuum hoses out of place,i recently found some sort of device that isnt connected to anything, one end having been broken off. It would be nice if i could find someone in socal with an ea81 to look at for reference, i have a chilton but its a challenge to decipher.

but for now i am faced with a bigger problem, i went to start the brat this morning and turned the key- didnt turn over, like it had no charge. I waited a couple minutes, tried again, and the whole car shut off. no lights, gauges went to 0, ECS light is off, horn wont even work. no blown fuses, new battery is properly grounded. I'm getting issue after issue, this thing is driving me crazy.

Edited by ADK