Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2006 Tribeca Backup Fuse keeps blowing...

Hi,

I have a 2006 Tribeca and the backup fuse keeps blowing...It's happened three times now, the last two times in so many days.  When it blows we loose the interior lights, radio, display screen garage door opener etc...

Does anyone know what could be causing this to happen?  Could it have anything to do with the drivers seat?

Thank you!

Joe

Do you mean "backup" like the reverse light circuit?

Or "backup" like key off battery 12v+ backup?  I believe it is this circuit since the reverse lights are working just fine.

What size fuse and which # on the fuse board? It is a 20A fuse and it is not numbered it is under the hood labeled "BACKUP".

Thank you!

Joe

I am going to assume it is the reverse lights. Are the lights located in the tailgate? If so see if the harness is chaffed that goes from the body to the tailgate.

Nope not the reverse lights they are working just fine.  This is a 20A fuse under the hood labeled "BACKUP"

If your model is similair to the WRX model refered to in the link I provided I suggest you try removing the differential control relay to see if that makes a difference. As the drawing shows, there is also a direct power connection to the module which could be shorted.

If your model is similair to the WRX model refered to in the link I provided I suggest you try removing the differential control relay to see if that makes a difference. As the drawing shows, there is also a direct power connection to the module which could be shorted.

Tribeca wouldn't be a DCCD trans.

Would be either 4eat or 5eat.

Any chance you've added any accesories?  Aftermarket radio? Amp? CB? DVD/Nav system?  Garage door opener?  is that a Factory option?

Tribeca wouldn't be a DCCD trans.

Would be either 4eat or 5eat.

Any chance you've added any accesories?  Aftermarket radio? Amp? CB? DVD/Nav system?  Garage door opener?  is that a Factory option?

Hi,

Yes it is a 5eat with the sport shift trans.  No aftermarket anything all factory.  It is the LTD so it has the garage door opener in the visor, the guidance system, DVD player for the kids etc but it is all factory.

Thank you !!!!

Joe

Not that familiar with tribecas.

But could you access the connectors for the radio? DVD? Garage opener? 

If you can disconnect things on the circuit, then install a fuse and reconnect them one at a time til it blows you'll know which device it is.

On sb9t, someone reported a similar problem and was indeed convinced it had to do with the seat. However, I am having hard time finding evidence of that on the wiring diagram. Neither power adjustment nor heater system is powered through that 20 A fuse. 

Edited by avk

On sb9t, someone reported a similar problem and was indeed convinced it had to do with the seat. However, I am having hard time finding evidence of that on the wiring diagram. Neither power adjustment nor heater system is powered through that 20 A fuse. 

Neither could I...I was wondering if it is possible that a harness that is running under the seat has possibly chaffed.  In that harness is a wire that goes back to the 20A BACKUP fuse and it is shorting out due to incidental movement in the seat...

It's been too cold here for me to be crawling around on the ground to look...

It did happen to my friend while the seat was moving but I am wondering too if that is more of a coincidence than possible cause...Frustrating!

Thank you so much for your efforts!!!!!

Joe

A rudimentary, but effective, way to test would be pulling those components one at a time and see if any of them stop the blowing- then you'd have your shorted branch to chase. 

True, but we have had the thing take months before it blew so I don't know how advantageous that would be...Plus getting behind the console is a PITB...I may have to resort to it though...