Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My previously extremely reliable 1995 Subaru Legacy is stuck at my workplace because I cannot get it to start. Mechanics all away for xmas holidays and I desperately would like my car back.

Just like a standard day got in it after work, turned the ignition and shockingly the engine would not start.  No prior mishaps to suggest there was anything wrong with it.  All fluid levels are normal.  Engine was running normal that morning. 

Its not a battery issue (battery less than 12 mnths old - all the normal things work in the car - eg, radio, lights, windows, etc.).  Terminals are all clean and connected fine. We even attempted to jumpstart it but to no avail.  

When the key is turned to start there is nothing but a slight clicking noise that can be heard.  However when you hear this from under the bonnet it sounds as though it is closer to the ABS system (on the left fore corner) then the starter motor (back right of middle). 

Left it overnight with hopes that miraculously it may start the next day, but no avail.

I am clever with my hands but I have no real mechanical skills (and I don't have access to a code reader - not that I would know how to use one anyway).  Appears to me though that it may be an electrical issue?  A faulty sensor or fuse?  I will stop by my car again tomorrow and have a look at the fuse box, although I wouldn't really know what I would be searching for. 

Mechanics away on holidays for another week so have sought advice from the web. Read a lot of different starting issue threads, but haven't found any similar to this yet - Closest was a thread on this site "1996 Subaru legacy outback not starting" but didn't appear to have a solution.  Has anyone experienced a similar problem that may have some advice?

Any ideas would be helpful.

Sounds like the typical Starter contactor.  Check the cables and grounds and make sure you have good voltage to starter.  If you have a meter you can check the voltage under load at the Starter and at the starter motor.

Sometimes a little tap on the starter may get you going but it's not a fix.

• Like 1

It sounds like the starter solenoid is energizing but the engine is not cranking.  I own and have owned four 95 to 97 subarus.  This unfortunately has happened to me a few times.  One: the starter solenoid contacts may not be making, even though the solenoid is energizing.  The contacts get corroded and dirty. Solution:  replace the starter.  I have done this at least three times.  Two:  the voltage to the starter solenoid may be too low to make the contacts even though the solenoid is energizing.  This has happened to me once.  Solution:  install a slave relay and run a line directly from the battery.

In all my cases, I was able to get the car to crank after waiting a few minutes to a few hours.  But to keep it from happening again, I replaced the starter usually with a used subaru starter, although the last time I used a rebuilt one from the auto store. 

You can also take off the starter and replace the solenoid contacts, but this is too complicated for me.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick replys.  I have since found a few other threads relating to the starter solenoid contacts and this sounds the likely cause.  Although its a well looked after car, it is getting on in years and as far as I'm aware the starter hasn't previously been replaced.  Changing the starter may even be too complicated for me but I think I will try the bang it with a hammer theory and see if that helps it at least for the short term. 

This has made me a little more optimistic anyway.  Was resigning myself that it may be reduced to scrap metal. :)

Third time lucky.

Checked all fuses and connections again.  Fiddled and played with everything again.  Finally got a result.  It was simply the cable/connection from the ignition to the starter that was a little bit niggly. 

It seemed to be attached fine, but guessing the metal inside the connector is worn or corroded and there was insufficient connection. Its still a little loose and iggly, but fixed for the short term.   At least I know what is wrong with it before pulling the whole thing apart.

Thanks everyone for your help, without these forums and utube help, I wouldn't even know what the starter motor was and how it worked. :) Learn something everyday. 

Cheers.