Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Comments, please, on '86 Sedan for OFFROAD.

Rallywagon

I have had a blast for a few years offroading with my '84, but I want to take something to the next level...lift kit, maybe gearing, more power. My '84 and seemingly every '84 on the east coast is severely rusted. I can't decide....should I just let my car go, and buy a better "starter" car for my project OR start grinding and welding to resurrect my '84. (BTW, I need 4 doors for the family, so a hatch is out.)

What are your opinions on this '86 turbo as a potential off road project?...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15034&page=1&pp=10

Ben's asking price of $700 is tempting, but I only have experience with the EA81's so far.

Thanks for any input/ideas/cautions.

Basically the only advantage it has over setting up a wagon or hatch is the lsd. However the dr tranny has less reduction than the other DRs due to the 3.7:1 diff gears and lower low range ratio. Plus the turbo motor makes less power when its not under boost, because of the low compression pistons. Turbos can still be a blast off-road though. It wont be a crawler but it could still be a fun mud, dirt, and bajain' rig with a 3" and 26" tires. You could always convert the tranny and rear lsd to a 3.9:1 ratio and a wagon DR 5 spd.

Hind sight is 20/20 and looking back on my Subaru offroad project I would have started totaly different. It would have been WAY easier starting with a CLEAN 4WD dual range subaru and a blown up motor. Motor swaps are a piece of cake compared to installing 4WD or hundreds of hours of body work. Unfortunatly I didnt start with this whole project in mind. I bought mine as a winter beater one year and fell in love :)

I say you find yourself a clean 4WD body to start with. It will be much easier and you will be happier for far longer. Anything with little rust and dual range will get you set up to make a fun offroad toy.

Good luck!