Ultimate Subaru Message Board

IN need of a EA71 Cylinder head for my 78 Brat! ASAP!

I am currently restoring a 1978 Brat and when I tore down the motor to rebuild it, I noticed that one of my cylinder head has two small cracks. The head is cracked in the small area between the exhaust and intake valve seats. Does anyone have heads they would be willing to part with or know anyone else that has some?

I had one that dropped a valve seat years ago and the only replacement head I could find in a junkyard had the same crack between the valve seats.  I got it for twelve bucks (the gasket cost as much!), put it on the car and drove it for another couple of years.  Never had any problems with it.  You may be just fine running it. 

• Like 1

That would be great. I might have a guy locally that will repair the one I have, but I would rather install two good ones. I havent taken the time to clean the right side yet, but I would imagine that two rebuilt heads would be better than one rebuilt and one worn. But, in the end, two un-cracked heads are better than nothing.

ok... I still think I need new/rebuilt heads as well. The combustion chamber, valves, and tops of the pistons were fowled really bad. The valve seats look pitted as well. Now, I found the EGR tube running from the intake to the head is clogged with crap and I can't get the tube to come off of the intake...what a pain it is. The EGR port running to the tube was also completely filled in as well...

Well....looks like I need a head (preferrable two non-cracked heads), one of the flares on the spider was broke off, and possibly a new intake manifold and EGR tube running to the head...if I cant get the damn tube off and bust the intake in the process!!

And now my wife's Impreza crapped the tranny so I'm having to look for a car....but I'll do my best.Rain today with a mess on the horizon which'll ruin the afternoon for storage , but tomorrow looks to be better for the weather.

I sure do want to blow out LOTS of items that I'm paying to store that I probably won't ever need now with my limited time for cars.

LOTs of NOS 70's stuff too. Don't get excited , its just lots of small items some of which are for automatics and generally things that people won't go gah gah for. I have to find out if there's a buyer for these things or face the truth and make space via the dumpster.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/subaru-1600-cylinder-heads-/221355224029?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3389ccabdd&vxp=mtr

Set on eBay starting cheap and on the west coast.

I really have little to zero time lately for my storage so if you need them quick I won't cry in you don't get mine.

Good luck. If you don't win them I'll still be trying to get mine out this weekend , I hope.