Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1979 Subaru Brat Fuel pump no go

I pulled to motor out of my brat to clean up the engine compartment and the motor.  Now I've put it all back together and it won't start.  At this point I can't get the fuel pump to run.  If I put power directly to the pump it operates.  If I put power to the wire from the voltage regulator to the fuel pump it operates.  With the Key in the off position one wire to the voltage regulator has power.  when the key is in the run position three of the wires have power.  Regardless of key position the fuel pump doesn't run, even in the start position.

Is my voltage regulator bad?  What other things should I check?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Simon

ivans imports.  Thanks that's useful information.  I had another car of this vintage where the fuel pump wouldn't run with the key in run, unless the engine was running, but the fuel pump would run in start.

Thanks

Simon

Alternator to V/R to fuel pump.

the service manual recommends you replace the V/R and alternator at the same time.

One guy here said "that's phooey" and that manuals lie sometimes ....granted there are supplements issued and service memorandums ....but I've had great success when you change both.

Yes , I know you probably had both in great shape and are wondering how the alt. could go out but ....you tell us what you found , please. One wire is telling a story it seems. Check for break.

Good luck.

Where is that? Not really right to say it could be anything. Very limited. Please show me where my inertia switch is on my 78 wagon. Thanks

Well not anything, but could be a lot of things. (Ignition switch, bad fuse, bad wire, fuse link ect.)

I believe most Subarus have an inertia switch because of the electric fuel pump.

I'm not positive where it is, but I believe it is behind the drivers side panel by your left foot, below where the hood latch is, and behind the plastic panel.

• 2 weeks later...