Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lift block height

Uberoo

• 1 year later...

So I still have the BRAT. Life, the universe,and everything else have been conspiring against me on it, but I'm getting a few projects done to where I can start thinking about it again.Current plan: ej22, 5 speed DR,suzuki sammy transfercase, solid axles front and rear with 3/4 link coil suspension,35" tires as a start. I was given a dana 30 HP non -CAD front axle so I was planning to go with that, but after alot researching it I could throw cubic dollars of time/parts at it and have an axle that I have to baby on 35" tires which is not my idea of fun for a toy.If I go with a isuzu rodeo Dana 44 rear axle its 58" wms with disk brakes on 6x5.5 bolt pattern.Other than an impossible to find toyota front axle, my options up front are an equally hard to find dana 44 out of a jeep wagoner, or cut down a more common than dirt chevy Dana 44.Cutting down the axle tubes on the chevy axle is no problem its finding a magic combination of stock axleshafts that would create a narrow 44 at or around 58" wms that is the problem. I would prefer to use stock shafts just for the ease of finding spare parts,anyone have any ideas?

I would skip the 5 speed DR if you're going to run a real tcase, just makes life even harder on the poor 5MT in my experience, but if you already have one and think it will work go for it.

I'd go EZ30/36 since you're already swapping in something with different wiring than the chassis.  A non dual range 5MT should hold up pretty well with a tcase behind it.

Are the toyota axles really that hard to find?  Just did a quick search on car-part, looks like $400-600 for an early 80s Toyota front axle and you'd have to travel a few hundred miles.  Maybe that's too expensive and too far to go.

This might help your D44 front axle length quandary (scroll down to chart):

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/449462-info-dana-44-front-axle-shaft-lengths-all-spicer-1967-02-a.html

The 5 speed dual range holds up just fine with a transfercase behind it. I almost never need to use the transmission low range anyways but it’s nice to have. An ej22 will do just fine. I have an ej25d and have never felt like I need more power. An EZ would probably break the samurai transfercase. They crack easily with high torque and/or high power. The Ford 8.8 is another rear diff option. Factory they are 59.5” but can be narrowed down to 56.5”ish with factory parts. Don’t really know what to do about the front.

9 hours ago, Rallyru said:

The 5 speed dual range holds up just fine with a transfercase behind it. I almost never need to use the transmission low range anyways but it’s nice to have. An ej22 will do just fine. I have an ej25d and have never felt like I need more power. An EZ would probably break the samurai transfercase. They crack easily with high torque and/or high power. The Ford 8.8 is another rear diff option. Factory they are 59.5” but can be narrowed down to 56.5”ish with factory parts. Don’t really know what to do about the front.

With the dana 30 HP I was thinking of using an exploder 8.8 out back, but the more I read about it the dana 30 gets built in your spare time as an upgrade to the axle thats in your jeep.No one ever seems to want a Dana 30 HP if they are starting from scratch.I just want to build something that I can put fuel in and wheel, weekend after weekend, without it breaking.Obviously, anything will break, but I'm looking for a bit more durability than popping a CV joint every time out.Id like to think that a sub 3000 lb 4wd, with a 4 cylinder, on 35" doesnt need 1 ton axles to survive...My subarus when they were stock were bombproof, with 24" tires and ea81's, but 4X more torque and considerably heavier tires shatters that illusion..

Edited by Uberoo