Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Excellent -> Dead (turns over) Help!

I don't know an incredible lot about these cars, I just did an engine swap yesterday from 1991 Loyale into my 1987 GL. My '87 had almost 300,000 miles, still ran, but, it was time for a fresh motor, so, I put a 120,000 mile motor from my friend's totalled loyale in it. (It was rear ended)

It started easily, ran great, accelerated easily, it was a fun little motor. But, I was driving and suddenly the motor just stopped, sputtered out. The engine was warmer than it should have been, so, I thought I might have lost head gaskets, but, no smoke, no coolant spew, and it didn't sound like I grenaded the motor. It just died and refused to start again. It turns over easily, no wierd noise or hesitation, it just won't start. I checked the oil when it died and it didn't look like milkshake (when coolant enters oil). So, I don't think it's headgaskets.

I thought maybe I lost a timing belt, but, if I remove my distributor cap the distributor still rotates when I turn the engine over, which indicates timing. I know these cars have two timing belts, so, could I have lost te passenger side belt? I kind of think it would run, but, just run like spoob with half the timing. I don't know though. Anybody have any answers?

Check the rotor....the screw can back out and be sitting on the top. Rotor will still turn, like all is good. Pull up on the rotor

I just walked out there. If you're talking about the rotor on the distributor, there's no play in it. Nor is there a visible screw.

hi,

i would suggest to verify if the spark plug wires are firing, and or the coil is firing first, if it is,  then your problem might not be ignition.  however i have seen the timing belts slip or strip a few notches and then still turn the cam part ways. check the belts  alignment  to make sure it is actually still in time.    since you been working on it,  check for loose conections and wires that might be loose ,  coil  connections , and if it has one of those ignition things on the coil bracket, the  bracket  has to be grounded to the body or motor, if all these check ok then  it is not ignition,   it's likely fuel related and needs some diagnosis there.

Was your 87 GL carbureted?  I've read that the fuel lines on carb'd cars need to be upgraded when you switch to SPFI as the fuel injector requires a higher amount of PSI than the carb'd fuel pumps and lines can supply.

Nobody has mentioned the fuel pump yet. Did you fuel pump give up the ghost?

Check your fuel filters?

Just some thoughts.

Depends on how it died:

--Suddenly, no noise or stuttering, then likely an electrical problem

--did a hurt dance when it died, then likely a fuel related problem

--died with a clunking or loud noise, then likely a mechanical problem (probably not applicable because yours still cranks)

still cranks but won't fire up.  indicates either no spark to the plugs or a possible fuel pump failure. 

--check the plugs for spark

--rap the fuel pump with handle of a screw driver then try restarting .  sometimes that will get the pump working again ( may take more than one try).  if the car starts then the pump should be replaced. 

I just walked out there. If you're talking about the rotor on the distributor, there's no play in it. Nor is there a visible screw.

I forgot to ask which distributor you used when you did the engine swap. I assumed that you used the one from the Loyale, but you probably used the original..

Edited by superpoo93