Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 gl wagon

So I recently acquried a new to me GL wagon. I am the third owner of the 180k beauty. I caught a break with it only needing a new speedo cable and fresh set of tires. However, there is a slight oil leak developing in the driver side head gasket. It may be a stupid question, but alas, I must ask; is it worth the time and effort to mount the turbo heads on this n/a motor? Or should I just redo the gaskets and call it a day?

Call it a day. the more you mess with something,The more you need to mess with something. It seems that a lot of those engines leaked some from the heads.if its not too bad ,keep an eye on it and "Just roll w/it" haha. You got a good one with low miles,have fun w/ it..Keep it full of oil and don't overheat it and it should last for years ...no lie....Todd

redo the gaskets (and timing belts while your at it) and drive it.  

shouldn't be an expensive fix, even if you pay someone to do it.

make sure its the head gasket leaking, theres also a crease where the cam towers bolt to the head so it may just need that redone.

Congrats on your 88,  and welcome Idglsub_88,  (I loved my 88)

Depends on what you want to do.  Cash flow, time etc...  I say get your money out of it first by just doing a gasket and put some miles on it to bond with it.  go from there.  Don't know your experience, but I have seen a number of kids dive in to far, to fast and turn it into a pile of metal.  

my .02.

I wouldnt mess with converting to MPFI.  It's a bit of a pain to do, and the turbo motor will require more attention. 

Rock it as is.  A head gasket job is super easy on these cars.  You can do it in a weekend.  Finding parts is harder than the actual work.  Congrats on the 88 man - I just recently purchased an 88 GL turbo and did head gaskets, heads, water pump, seals, timing belts, etc.  Worth doing while you've got the motor out.   Do your homework on USMB - there is more than you will ever need to know on here.  Good luck!

I appreciate everyones input. I'm a fairly seasoned backyard mechanic and used to sell subies for a living. This is, however, the first subie I've owned. So the more help I can get the better. I've also seen some of these with a 2.2 swap in them. Just not sure if that would really be worth the time or money if the current motor dies.

its popular, but not nearly the most economical one.  if you have the motor already, and its needing the same work as the EA82, then its probably worth it imo.  if you just have your car and nothing else, then your realistically looking at 1k to 1500 in just parts to swap.  you can get things cheaper and reduce this, but not much farther than about $500-$700 over the cost of the EA82 at best.

on the upside, pretty much better in all respects, almost double the HP (or more depending), easier to find parts for, more reliable in lots of ways.

keep an eye on craigslist.  you can probably find an Ej for a couple hundred bucks on the right day (make sure to get the ECU and wiring with it).  if you already have the motor then you can go through it and prep it for the swap.  decide if its worth it, or just sell the EJ for a small profit or something.  

Now on the flip side I have heard that you can install 1800 pushrod engins as well.. Other than being somewhat under powered is that a workable swap? i have a low mile 88 gl at my sons in Colorado with blown headgasket or worse. we cooked it going up a long pass in 100 degree heat. I am considering my options for this spring when I hope to bring it home..