Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Brat Gen 1 & 2 Roofs/T-Tops?

james.michael

First post, please be kind. 

Right so I've developed a great interest in the Subaru Brat and am dead set in getting one and putting it through some major modifications. Such as putting the body on top a WRX drivetrain with the subframes then lifting it using Forester struts.

Now I want a Gen 1 GL Brat because I love how it looks with it's BMW-esque headlights and subtle body lines. I thought that Gen 1's were available with t-tops however to my dismay I've found out that they aren't. Now the t-tops are half the reason why I've wanted a brat in the first place. All of my cars have t-tops... gotta love them t-tops 

So! My question is how difficult would it be or if it is even REMOTELY possible to put the Gen 2 t-tops on to the Gen 1?

Are the roofs similar enough that I can just chop the roof off a Gen 2 and put it onto a Gen 1 or are the windshields and windows a different shape?

If the glass will be a problem, then would it be possible to leave just the frames around the windshield and doors and put in the Gen 2 roof/t-tops?

If none if that is possible then... how about swapping/grafting the body panels of the Gen 1 on to the Gen 2 frame... or would that best choice from the get go?

To close, I repair, restore, and modify cars from mechanical to body to paint for a living and I love it. So no amount of wrenching, cutting, welding, etc is daunting to me. And thanks for taking the time to lend your knowledge!

a gen 1 is narrower than a gen 2 brat by a good couple of inches.Im putting EA81(gen 2) suspension under my gen 1 and the gen 2 suspension sticks about 1/2" out of the fenders with stock wheels,that same suspension under a gen 2 sits the stock wheels inside the fenders by about an inch and a half.So you wouldnt be able to use gen 2 T tops.You might me able to fab in the gen 2 sun/moonroof though.However,I happen to have a gen 1 and gen 2 roof I could measure,once this torrential down pour stops.

according to wikipedia a gen 1 is 59.1" wide and a gen 2 is 63.8".

Edited by Uberoo

There was a guy on craigslist who had a gen 1 with the t-tops on it that whete welded in. I would think you would have to cut the roof without pillars so basicly just cut the piece out a couple inches around the t-tops so it looks like a rectangle. The space between the glass would probably be to long still so you would have to cut out a chunk to make it in proportion for a gen 1.