Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98' Impreza key less entry, need some info

Has anyone on hear done any work with the Subaru key less entry systems? I bought a 98' Impreza awhile back and it came with a key fob, but didn't work.. put a new battery in the key fob still nothing, looked under the dash to make sure everything was hooked up, all checked out okay... Never messed around with any of these but would like to get it working again, so if anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it!....another thing my 01 legacy had the same thing and when I locked the doors manually and shut it it would do the "beep" sound, My Impreza does not though...Don't know if that helps any....and It is a Subaru OEM dealer installed key less entry system

yeah, I forgot the entire routine but something about turning the key from off to on (not start) a certain number of times, locking/unlocking the door... find that routine... it's easy then.

an easy google search found this:

Programming or Overriding the Alarm
when you have lost the remote

Open driver's door.

Turn ignition key to 'On'

Press and *hold programming button* in
(see diagram, button under dashboard)

After 15 seconds the the door locks will
cycle 3 times. Do not release Programming button

Press lock (left) button the remotes to
be programmed. The door locks will cycle one time.

Exit programming mode by releasing Programming
button under dashboard and turning key to off.

Follow the directions... I don't think I'm coming over to your house to set this up, either.

Edited by later_Peter

link to programming info,

Subaru Keyless Entry, Security Alarm, Immobilizer Key, Remote Start Systems. Most years and models

there is also a write up about a keyfob repair.

but if the fob is not programmed , you may not be able to tell if it isn't working.

the repair deals with corrosion inside the buttons on the circuit board.

its a good write up , with great pictures.

tip regarding programming,

some folks have a problem with false alarms or stray alarms.

the fix is to program your fobs several times until all 4 possible fob slots in the system are programmed.

one fob programmed four times will do this.

Edited by johnceggleston

Thanks for the write up about it, tried it though and the locks never cycled...I have to look into it a little bit more and chase some wires to see just where the power is coming from for the alarm system..Any Ideas on where they are usually spliced into at? It is an OEM Subaru key-less entry system probably installed by a dealer, not 100% sure though