Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok guys here is my situation. 87 dl wagon fwd 1.8 no turbo. Just put in new heater core, radiator, coolant and still the car has almost no heat.  Yes the system has been "burped". Anyone know where I should troubleshoot next or maybe an old or current discussion that talks about this?  Also does anyone know off hand where the fresh are vent is located on this car? Thanks.

hi,

couple of things to check,  is the water control valve actually opening all the way, check under hood and adjust so inside lever is making full open at the valve.  also make sure the heater hoses are not connected to incorrectly,  seems they should not matter but there is a right & not exactly right way they go.   if you are not getting good air flow, that is a different issue and we need to know  more about what it is and is not doing to diagnose.   is the blower  pushing good air flow and just not hot enough , or,  hot enough,    just not enough air flow??   also what temp thermostat you using,   the 180 is pretty weak in dead of winter.

Yeah, I think I stuck a 180 in it to make sure it would'nt overheat, so you sayin'  I should go with a higher temp one?  Blower is goin' good just low heat. Heater hoses are exactly as they were before I changed heater core. Also, with the risk of sounding like a total idiot, where is the water control  valve ?

IIRC Subaru did away with the water control valve on 85+ cars, instead they use an air mix door to control the temp. The temp cable runs down from the dash to a cam by the gas peddle. If your car dosn't have AC then you could pop the tube off between the blower and the heater to check if the door is fully open. Also check that the passinger side vent is closed. This question has been asked before but for the life of me I can't find the posts right now, try searching for " no heat".