Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to identify different models of D/R transmission

I have recently acquired an '88 GL, my first Subaru,  and am looking for a D/R transmission.  

My understanding is that there were a few models offered.  The most highly desired is the trans with a separate lever to shift 4H and 4L. 

If you are looking at the tranny, is there an obvious way to tell between the two?  Anything that a vin number would tell you?

I have been using sites such as partshotline.com and car-part.com as there are practically no Subarus, let alone of that era, in the junkyards around here.  Most places i have called have the parts out of the car, and arent able to tell me which style of tranny they have.  They just have them listed as 5sp, dual range, non-turbo/turbo.  I found a non-turbo tranny that came out of a low mile car ~70k for relatively cheap ($250 shipped) but they have no idea which style it is. 

Also - my car is a turbo EA82 - what are the differences between the turbo and non-turbo trans?  The turbo trans are full time 4wd?

Please excuse my ignorance - i am a new, excited member of the Subaru world.  Thanks in advance for your help guys.  I have a 3" lift on the way from Highguyslifts and got a set of 6 lug wheels that i am cleaning up.  I am planning to redrill my hubs when i get the lift in order to run the toyota wheels.  I am super pumped about this car.  The D/R tranny will be my last mod for a while as i am quickly running out of money!

• Like 1

the dual range should be offered in 85-88 years. The dual range will have a 23 spline axle and a 3.9 final gear.

Not all turbo 5mt's are full time, especially if it is a pushbutton. But, all turbo 5mt is 25 splines and a 3.7 final gear.

A dual range will bolt into a turbo car withthe same driveshaft, clutch and mounts. But, you will have to swap in 23 spline axles (any non turbo, or turbo with 3at). You will have to swap over a 3.9 rear differential which is a direct bolt in.

See if you an get the rear diff with the trans, but if not, i can send you a 3.9 rear diff in the mail if you cannot locate one.

the dual range should be offered in 85-88 years. The dual range will have a 23 spline axle and a 3.9 final gear.

Not all turbo 5mt's are full time, especially if it is a pushbutton. But, all turbo 5mt is 25 splines and a 3.7 final gear.

A dual range will bolt into a turbo car withthe same driveshaft, clutch and mounts. But, you will have to swap in 23 spline axles (any non turbo, or turbo with 3at). You will have to swap over a 3.9 rear differential which is a direct bolt in.

See if you an get the rear diff with the trans, but if not, i can send you a 3.9 rear diff in the mail if you cannot locate one.

Great info once again Miles.  It is greatly appreciated.  I am going to inquire about the diff but may take you up on the offer.  Running a 3.9 final gear would be ideal.  

Any way to tell which is which by looking at a picture?  Thanks again man

A dual range trans will have the dual range lever out the back of it with the shifter if they took the trans out in one piece. Otherwise, the center console is a clue withthe d/r lever.

If you are looking at a pic of the trans itself, a single range will have a diaphragm cable on the side for the 4wd. a full time with diff lock will have this same mechanism

a dual range will have a ganged rod along the top of the trans with a pivot point near the front diff, ganged up with a pivot point on the rear half of the trans. 

the differential should have a metallic sticker with the gear ratio printed on the rear cover

If you're looking for a dual range trans, look for a rod that goes into the right side (passenger for you) rear of the trans, then comes out again & joins to a lever on the side above where the driveshaft comes out.

All dual range trans come with these.

If it then also has a vacuum diaphragm(?) on the other side of the box with a cable over the top of the trans connected to a lever down near the back, then you've got a full-time, with dual range, otherwise it'll be a part-time 4wd (ie front wheel drive normally, then 4wd).

US never got dual range after 88? We continued to get them here until 94, but they changed to a 3.7 diff ratio

• 7 months later...

all 3at have a 23 spline axle. The turbo axle has a larger cup and shaft, but same 23 spline. The existing axles will work with a dual range non turbo 5mt

Your car is either an 83 with a 4mt swapped in, or an 82 with an ea81t swap. Turbo was never offered with a 4MT and turbo was 83 and 84 only for ea81

Edited by MilesFox