Ultimate Subaru Message Board

gauge cluster refurb

Hey All,

decided as long as my dash was out, i would spruce up my gauge cluster a bit. i used some Testors orange flourescent model paint to refresh the needles and face plate, and some Maguires plastic polish to remove some scratches from the clear cover. looks much better in my opinion. if i pull off this dash thing, they will sing songs about me for a thousand years!

question: the needles don't seem to index in any particular fashion; just push onto a round shaft. if i set them to their lowest values (ie: cold, empty, 0 mph) will they self index when they receive signal from the sensors/speedo cable?

what say you?

clustercoverbefore_zpsc65c26f9.jpg

clustercoverafter_zps0b407336.jpg

50D45324-CDEA-4870-B4D7-CFD82590AB94_zps

FBEC3B91-2EDD-468D-B4D1-7693CA6B0ECE_zps

91013FFB-2DB9-4932-82AE-C5A440A00691_zps

6A22E5EF-82F8-4655-87F0-D32FC95AD161_zps

24DF82C7-94A1-411E-A2E5-3C4ED70DB5AC_zps

2F39A222-C13C-4E3A-A8D2-8A377DCCBD0B_zps

Edited by suprjohn

hi,

looks good on the refurb end, but i think you may have to go through some hoops to reset the guage needles.   they won't just push on and read accurate,, i think you'll need to fake the signal for each of them to set them in the correct position,   i'm not sure if they need to be taken out ( so as to isolate each one from the rest of the circuit board ).  so you should  find the fsm info that is used to fix guage reading issues and follow their instruction to get readings that are proper again. 

There was another member on here that pulled his needles off to paint them. I don't remember him having huge problems getting them dialed back in. Don't remember what thread that was though.:(

Here is one thread that might help.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/138292-how-do-you-remove-the-needles/?hl=gauges&do=findComment&comment=1163809

Edited by Dinky26

Hmm...Not sure I get what he's driving at. I agree, I think the Speedo should be straight forward. To do the fuel gauge, you could either pull the tank sender and adjust it that way, or fill the tank and adjust accordingly. For the temp, my hope is with the switch on, engine not running, the value should be zero, so that might work. 

We'll keep after it. This weekend's supposed to be warmer, so maybe I can take a run at it. 

John