Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I-beam suspension

sumoco

I beam?like whats on fords?In which case,why? I have a friend who swapped a D44 under his ranger because the I beam setup had far less ground clearance than my EA81 wagon with 235/75/15 mud tires.I could follow the trail and not touch anything on the car,even with 35"s he still plowed dirt.

it may be called something else but i saw a guy with a truck with this suspension system that as he accelerated the beams attached to his body and wheels came inwards launching his lift up to about 3 feet but it sat with only about a foot lift, it was honestly one of the coolest things i've ever seen. I Asked him what kind of suspension is was and he said i beam

• 4 months later...

Ok I'm going to hafta agree to disagree on this one ttb Dose have some draw backs but it has some good things too #1 is way better traction way more often and in the nw it rains a few day a year so going up a slippery slope its the best thing to have my stock bronco has been some place no one els could get because they couldn't find. The traction. Ttb also drive really nice on the road too! And on back ROADs its the Cadillac of offroad rides. Ttb takes jump the best too I've jummped mine well over 200x's and its still in one pics with that said the sas is going right now as I sold it to day but it wheeled hard with 33' tires for 4 years no braking of parts

Twin I beam is the name for that suspension

And as stated it sucks. Not to mention the weight added and headache, fab time requires for a inferior suspension.

It's not inferior.....it just is better for other things.

Best application is on rear wheel drive "baja" type trucks.  The twin I-beam can achieve MASSIVE amounts of travel.......and when coupled with proper shocks can be jumped big time and take it.......because of the travel.....

However......trying to add drivelines to it is a challenge........ford's of the 80's and 90's did that.....and as mentioned the ground clearance sucks.....and becaus each beam crosses the middle of the truck......when the ruts get deep the beams just hang up and don't drop into the ruts like a subaru or other IFS type would.

X2

Twin I Beams are great, but I'd never even consider them on a subaru. No, they're not tough on tires if aligned correctly, but they do have horrible ground clearance, which is why you never see them on trails, but all the time on the road. Ford started using Twin I Beams in '65 and if you'd ever driven in a straight axle rig and then hopped in a Twin I Beam rig, its night and day. The Twin I Beam system gave Ford a huge edge over everyone else because the ride was like driving a car, it was easier to align, and because of the simpler design, it was cheap to produce and maintain.

Sumco: Are you planning on jumping your car? If so you need to work out a frame before you think about suspension. If your going for looks and functionality on the trail, go with a 3 or 4 link setup.

Josh