Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'87 EA82 Missouri camping machine (ex-Jackson racing)

travelvw

So, the SOCAL wheeler built by Kyle Jackson, is now in SW Missouri, just outside the rust belt for those who are concerned for its fate ;) : http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/106448-so-california-ea82-wheeler/

Beyond the rear hogged wheel wells up into the body cavities, I'm extremely happy with the car. Kyle did a fantastic job on the build! :D On top of that, him and Marra were a great first introduction to Subaru folks; thanks again, you two!

I'm starting a new thread, as I'm taking it in a slightly milder, multi-functional direction. I already have a real wheeler ;) , a 1984 Toyota Xtra cab, so this car is to be my daily driver, part-time camper, and mountain bike hauler... not to say I won't be hitting the trails! Took it cold weather camping for the first time last weekend:

post-51014-0-48068500-1390574815_thumb.jpg

Not sure how to post full-sized pics on a post without posting them elsewhere?

So far I've dropped the tire size so its more fun to drive, with some KM2's on IFS Toyota steelies which have proper offset for the car. Interior is currently gutted for a rear camping/hauling setup I have yet to build, to be able to wash out the rockers and rear well cavities until I get the chance to weld 'em up, and for the now removable, shortened roof rack w/zero wind noise (the deer antlers were quite loud). A smaller spare tire will be mounted out back, so I can utilize the space up on the rack, including some bike mounts. Got plans for plate bumpers and DOT custom headlights when the time comes. That's about it for now. Cheers,

K

Edited by travelvw
  • Like 2

Awesome.

You are doing it right.  Shame you arent in se mo as i get down to that area occasionally. as far west as salem.

Im interested to see what you come up with in the rear. i have been thinking of reworking the back of my rx (same chassis, 3 door hatch) for more utility.

Sam

Glad you started a journal for the GL. Ive been checking in since it left on Christmas day. I do miss her. As for the stereo....no clue. We too bought a cord thinking it would work for an I-pod but no such luck. The stereo was free so thats what I put in there. I think it is pre-MP3. 

Put up some larger pictures and keep the updates coming!! 

Awesome.

You are doing it right.  Shame you arent in se mo as i get down to that area occasionally. as far west as salem.

Im interested to see what you come up with in the rear. i have been thinking of reworking the back of my rx (same chassis, 3 door hatch) for more utility.

Sam

Thanks. I have been out to the MTNF thata' way in the past, but its been a while.

Glad you started a journal for the GL. Ive been checking in since it left on Christmas day. I do miss her. As for the stereo....no clue. We too bought a cord thinking it would work for an I-pod but no such luck. The stereo was free so thats what I put in there. I think it is pre-MP3. 

Put up some larger pictures and keep the updates coming!! 

Pics are large, but if you attach them through the forums, they're small thumbnails you have to click on to enlarge. I'm not sure how to post them bigger without posting elsewhere and linking it? Kind of a pain in the rump roast. Thanks for the info on the stereo.

I'm working on bike mounts for the rack and did the final cleaning in the rockers and rear panels in prep for welding them up. Also ordered a set of Hella 90's for the front. Hope to get that all done before the camp trip next weekend, right? :rolleyes:

K

Edited by travelvw