Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Outback vs Legacy wagon trailer wiring

Apparently an Outback has a plug for trailer wiring, while the Legacy does not (both 97-99).  What's the deal here?

I pulled a hitch off an Outback at the junkyard(a whole $25).  Grabbed the trailer harness from the Outback as well, only to find that my Legacy doesn't have the plug.  Checked at the yard, and none of the other Legacys do either, but the Outbacks all have them.

It looks like they are supplying power separately for the trailer, directly from the battery through a box.  Is that correct?

• 7 months later...

Hey guys, what was the verdict here?  Do the Legacys also have the wiring harness for plug and play, or just the Outbacks?  I am looking at buying a 2002 Legacy GT wagon and I want to install a hitch.  So far I have not found a plug and play solution for this car.  When I put a hitch on my Camry, I was able to order 'T' connecters which just clipped in the line to the tail lights and out to a 4 flat connector; not cutting.  I'd like to find a similar solution for the Subaru.

Thank you.

• 1 year later...

Nipper thanks for the location information.  It was surprisingly hard to find buried in some blue tape.

After seeing it for what it was it's hard to not see it now.

This is from a 1997 legacy outback

Here is a picture for anyone else looking for it, in the drivers side tail light access panel

post-61972-0-22150600-1458090053_thumb.jpgpost-61972-0-50847000-1458090080_thumb.jpg

FYI, the 1998 Legacy (not outback) wagon does NOT seem to have a connector. 1997s do seem to have them. I ripped the entire rear interior out of my '98 looking for it, and thoroughly examined the wiring loom and cable harnesses on both sides. I wound up using vampire taps - not ideal, but trailer lights don't draw that much current.

Apparently at some point in time, Subaru decided that Legacy's should not tow.  I bought our Legacy specifically because the salesman pointed out how the Legacy was designed to accommodate the handicapped.  Unfortunately after I bought it, I found out that it was not designed to accommodate a powered chair lift that uses a trailer hitch on the rear.  It can be done, but it is not recommended by Subaru.  Fortunately I don't need that yet.

Edited by keith3267