Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1985 subaru gl and 1986 subaru brat gl

So, i have a 1986 Brat GL that i recieved as a gift from in the family that is in depressingly sad condition. the engine runs, but has a phenominal time starting up, havent seen any problems with the tranny and 4 wheel. recently my mom was driving it and one wheel seized from a bad bearing(all 4 are since replaced), there is the all too common wheel well rust in the bed, both fenders and the hood are beyond repair and need to be replaced. drivers fender has a dent that interferes with the door and has rusted into its bent form, the passenger fender was attacked by a bear (not joking. both on my brat and my brothers outback legacy, the passenger fender got bit and bent out). and the hood has an odd bit of rust in the under frame of it. irrepairable, and i have no idea how it got there :confused: .

interior is also in sad condition, but i dont need to type out annother paragraph on that.

Now, in a random stroke of luck, i found a 1985 GL hatchback (2 wheel drive) that is the same generation body styling :bouncy: . and the even better thing about it; NO RUST :slobber: . it lived in arizona all its life so it has the standard arizona car accessories such as; the awesome faded paint look, that is now a matte finish also. the oh, so, popular cracked dash and just overall rubber parts dry rotting.

so my question is, just how much of the GL am i able to transplant into the brat? :zzz:  considdering the brat has been a New England car for most, if not all, of its life, i want to eliminate as much rust as possable. fenders and hood are a must, but do the doors match? windshield?

i will upload pictures soon

side note: i dont have access to my brat at the moment, due to it being on the opposite side of the country, but im going to get it this summer

never heard the coupe was different either. do you know this first hand?

This is true with ea82 coupe at least. Not sure with ea81 unless it is being confused with the fact for ea82. I would assume ea81's are all the same.

It should be true that hatch and coupe glass are the same for the doors. 

The hatch and the brat have the same rake, but the b pillar angle is different between brat/hatch

Edited by MilesFox