Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 and matching 5speed in 84 gl

Im gathering everything to put a freshly resealed 90 ej22 in my 84 gl. I currently have a 4spd d/r. At first i was just going to use the adaptar plate but now it seems like the 4spd is giving out. It would be for a street/rally car, so i thought itd be cheaper and easier to swap to awd. I've searched through alot of threads but haven't found any good info on installing the new trans. Anyone have some tips? Thanks  

mating a ej engine to either a 4spd or 5spd trans will use the same bellhousing adapter.

You will use a flywheel and clutch according to which trans you are using.

a 5spd trans does swap into an ea81 car, you must use the 5spd's 2 piece driveshaft and invent a carrier bearing mount, or have the 4spd's driveshaft shortened 55mm

You will use the 4sp'ds trans crossmember mount on the 5spd.

There is a 'jerry's kit' available by a board member to use the original shifter and 4x4 lever with the 5sp.

if you are using an AWD or full time 4wd trans, you will need toswap in a 3.7 rear diff, and hybrid the axles together to match a 25 spline, or swap the stub axles. The car's original axles are 23 splines

EDIT: ^^^^ this above explains using a dual range ea82 5spd.

If using an ej 5spd, you won't need the bellhousing, but for sure, you will need a modified driveshaft, and modified axles, or swap in 23 spline axle stubs into the ej trans, and you will need a matching ej rear diff with the correct ratio, and swap the proper axle shafts, or swap the ring and pinion into the car's original rear end. This may require some grinding, otherwise swap the guts into a ea82 rear diff.

Edited by MilesFox
  • Like 1

Easy.

no adapters needed.

Will require a custom rear trans crossmember/support......and a custom length driveline. (longer than the 4spd)

most EJ 5spds are 4.11 or 3.9 ratio.......either of which compatible, direct bolt in rear diffs can be found in %90 of GL's (non-turbo) and 90-94 Legacies (3.9 or 4.11)

4.44 r&p can be installed into an older diff to get the male stubs.

Biggest issue is front axles.  I would highly advise opening the whatever trans you are installing and adding a set of 23 spline stubs.  otherwise, you will need custom axles using 25 spline inner cups.

Edited by Gloyale

The EJ rear diff will bolt directly in if you unbolt the front diff carrier & swap it over.

You're going to need to:

• learn to weld
  • find a friend who can weld
  • pay someone to weld

It's not just the tailshaft that'll need modifying, but also the shifter rod. And to clarify, I'm guessing you're using a single range EJ (I know that nearly all of them are over there, but it's the opposite over here).

To do the trans cross-member, a good start is to use the Brat's manual front cross member, a Brat (or from same style bodyshell) auto rear crossmember (I turn one upside down in my 88 Loyale) & get a thick-ish plate welded between them.

Would 25 spline axle inner cups connect to a 23 spine axle or do they  have to be welded? Does anyone make a cross member kit? i don't have a welder :(

THey might.

I've heard a hybrid axle can be made.....but there were a couple different size EA81 shafts and most of the aftermarkets are different.

I think it's better to modify the trans.....maybe put new seals in it while your at it....then use stock axles.

Crossmember you can do without a welder.  Just need a the center piece from a legacy/imp/forrester mount set up and then drill holes int he stock crossmember and use a flat bar piece across the rear part.

• Like 1

Pointing out.... If you use a 4spd driveline while swapping in a 5spd, the driveline has to be lengthened, not shortened. I just did my swap and had the one piece and two piece shafts next to each other. The 4 spd tranny is actually longer by a good amount than the 5spd. On the 5 spd, they did away with the tailshaft housing making it shorter..

The EJ trans swap is going to cost way more since you have to hybrid axles and get a rear diff. It's a much stronger though.

Pointing out.... If you use a 4spd driveline while swapping in a 5spd, the driveline has to be lengthened, not shortened. I just did my swap and had the one piece and two piece shafts next to each other. The 4 spd tranny is actually longer by a good amount than the 5spd. On the 5 spd, they did away with the tailshaft housing making it shorter..

The EJ trans swap is going to cost way more since you have to hybrid axles and get a rear diff. It's a much stronger though.

He doesn't need to swap rear diffs if he get's a 3.9 AWD EJ 5spd.

Opening trans and swapping in a set of 23 spine stubs will solve the axle issue.  He will run off the shelf Brat axles after a one time modification.

sourcing stubs will be cheaper than an EJ/EA adapter plate and redrilled flywheel.....even if he makes his own it will be.

AWD driveline would need to be longer than the 4spd one, but shorter than the EA PT 5spds one.

EJ shift linkage works with very little modification......easy without the 4wd lever.