Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi, I am new and need quick advice

Hi, I am new and currently teaching in KSA. I am looking to purchase my first Subaru WRX STi Impreza, a 1994 with a swapped engine of a 1999. The gentleman who is selling it has been buying various cars for projects and then selling them for some years now. He is about to change the ECU Engine Control Unit. This is the advertisement link and if it doesn't come up then just search please in Google for

Sporty Subaru Impreza WRX STi 1994 KSA Green SAR 19000

http://bey3.com/al-rawdhah/cars-vehicles-subaru-cars-for-sale/sporty-car-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-4wd-turbo/

I am not worried about the price too much as the prices are high anyway in KSA. Just worried in general and need advice whether to buy or not.

Welcome to the USMB.

In general the turbo Subarus require a bit more maintenance so that's something to keep in mind if you're looking to get this car.  Are there any service records or other information you've reviewed from the seller?

What are the reasons you want to get this car and what are some of your general concerns?  If you can provide any additional details/info that would be helpful in providing advice.

Here are some points I will make clear.

The KSA has the cheapest petrol price in the world, SR 0.5 = $0.13 per Litre!

I intend to use the car for going back and forth to work, which is 1 KM from my place, with 2 shifts which is 4Km's daily, plus shopping and general use, and on weekends I might go for a town cruise in the evening after I get neon lights on the car, inside out, blue maybe like Paul Walkers Skyline! 

In KSA, maintenence and small repairs and car washes are all very cheap also.

Spare parts for the Subaru are available.

Just major costs can come in for major repairs and new spare parts.

I might sometimes travel with the car but with cautions such as stopping every 1 hour to give the car a 15-20 minute rest.

I am prepared to make some small fixes on the car now and again so that I can sell it later on within 1 year as I will move my location to Jeddah city which has lots of Subaru's and so will have the chance and money to get a better one.

I might even get it tuned if possible at a performance tuning centre.

Just been told by one friend though that as it has been not used much over the last 1 year it might be no good. How true is this please?

I had a chat with the owner and he said that he has repaired various things and so on, also being reliable, strong and enjoyable to drive.

I haven't been able to find any more Turbo Subarus with my recent tight budget in the last 3 months. 

Would appreciate any more advice.

Thanks.

Just because it hasn't been used much doesn't mean it won't be good.  However, it wouldn't hurt to look over the car in person to make sure everything looks good and is in good working order.

It sounds like you have a plan and if it's in good condition and your budget I'm sure it'd be an enjoyable car to drive.

• Like 1

Subarus, Turbo or not are extremely stout vehicles. Turbo models do tend to be more finicky but it really just depends on how badly it's been abused it's whole life. I'd love to have that car here in the states, and wouldn't think twice about a purchase if it seemed right. As far as STI Impreza's are concerned, the GC chassis is arguably the best ever made. If you're not technically savy, however, I would think twice about it unless you have a mechanic you trust. He doesn't have any real engine affecting mods on it, so if it's a new/rebuilt block w/ a new ECU, it's probably a decent purchase.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Okay, he has just told me that he is about to change the ECU and willing for me to buy it on payments due to my situation and also due to his situation of wanting another car as a project and also due to the MOT about to expire in 10 days, which will be a headache to renew due to the modifications. But still it has 2 years of vehicle registration before needing a new MOT if transfered to my name before it expires. Sent me more pics and will put them up tonight. Seems nice and ofcourse will not take the car from him unless we drive around for a while in the city and on the highway. Will get the oil changed and filter and brake fluid and water and tyre pressure checked and petrol drained and then re-filled again before any travel from his city in Riyadh to where I work, Bisha city, about 1000KM. I am looking to make transfer of ownership by tomorrow and then make a down payment within 10 days which by then he should have replaced the ECU fully and checked it working. Actually, might ask him to do all the above to make sure it is all well before I collect it. The condition will be that he makes sure it is fully running well before I collect it and then we go for a drive and then I drive it with him in the city and highway. Then I will take it and start paying the rest of the payments. This will do it. I have a Mustang 97 GT since 3 months and had enough of it so due to repairs and stupid issues, will sell it now and get a family car also and this WRX as the weekend car hopefully. Will learn alot about this WRX and learn to maintain it and improve it later on in some areas with guidance from experts. I will be asking this gentleman for a list of things I should maintain and also a list of what might need renewing within the next 6 months and where to get the renewals and parts from with reliable mechanics.

here is the orginal info before I contacted the owner;

Subaru Impreza WRX STi 1999 Version 5 Swapped/conversion JDM kit
original model is 1994.
340k ODO (Not real since the engine was swapped)10K is the real reading.
- HKS Speed Limit Defencer
- HKS Catback stainless steel Exhaust System
- HKS Turbo timer and boost gauge
- RPM gauge with adjustable shift light.
- STI steering wheel.
- body kit
- Aluminum hood
- Italian made 17″ rims
- New front tires and good condition in back
- Manual Transmission with four wheel drive, central and back LSD.
- Turbo Boxer engine
- Recently replaced engine
- Sporty STI Seat.
- Power window
- Power mirrors with power folding option
- Radio with CD and Bluetooth
- Fog light
- Top speed ~260 Kph
- From 0 to 100 Km/h in 4.5 seconds
- new MPVI and Istemara
reason of selling: I have another car and this one is parked since last year.

Last night I found a nice Used WRX Buying Checklist on the net which had some over 100 points. So I asked the owner many of those questions as I trust him due to me now having a friendship with him since 2 months. He was very honest with me and told me a couple of small issues such as mirrors that need attention. But he was concerned about the ECU that he is ordering to get fixed which must be the exact one for all to be working well. He told me that if he fixes it and then gives a decent all round check to see the car is all in order again then he will contact me, about 5-10 days from now. He also mentioned that he will be giving me some spareparts for it also and some other bits and bobs. He wants me to be happy before taking the car. I will make sure that various fluids are changed also. I think he understands that the car must be checked and ready so as to sell. As long as all this is done and then I drive it with him in the city and the highway, and make some various checks using the Used WRX Buying Checklist, then I will be satisfied. Any thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, went down with 2 mechanics, friends to check it out. Took it for a drive and it was bette rthan my Mustang 97, GT. Better suspension, road handling and control, acceleration, the lot. Just the interior was ordinary and needs valleting. The gentleman was an Arab from Jordan and allowed me to buy it on payments.

• 2 weeks later...